DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   bathtub and surround project (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/bathtub-surround-project-170861/)

Arsinek 02-02-2013 08:33 PM

bathtub and surround project
 
So one of my baths was pretty rotten. Im still not sure what route Im going to take to fix it. Anyway heres some pics of the damage. What have I got myself into? :laughing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/DSC00128.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/DSC00126.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/DSC00113.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/DSC00125.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...oom/bath_4.jpg

joecaption 02-02-2013 10:52 PM

That tub should have been covered with cardboard before doing any of that demo. It may be damaged already.
Makes no since to me to try and work over a pile of trash like that.
Your going to have to strip that down to the studs, kill all the mold and replace any rotted wood.
Shim out the studs until it even with the lip on the tub.
Insulate any outside walls.
The best enclosers are nailed to the studs with roofing nails and sheetrock is used above the enclosure.
The cheap thin ones get glued up over Green board. (moisture resistant drywall)
Both will need to be shimed to make up for the space lost space from removing the old tile and mud.

creeper 02-03-2013 06:15 AM

I think what Joe was trying to say is, why bother touching the same rubbish twice? The insulation could have been deposited into a garbage bag the first time it was handled. But never mind you work the way you see fit.

Since I don't speak graffitieze I was wondering what does it say?:)

joecaption 02-03-2013 06:26 AM

Just a pet peave I have I can not stand a dirty job site.
A dirty site is a dangerest site. I have trash cans, trash bags and dump trailer on site even before the tools get there.

creeper 02-03-2013 06:33 AM

Thats a good habit to have Joe. It would definitely make the worker more efficient. I'm sure the customer appreciates it as well:)

joecaption 02-03-2013 07:30 AM

Every single customer has mentioned it.
At the end of the day 99% of the time at the end of the day there's 0 trash left any place.
When stripping a roof I have people on the ground cleaning up as fast as it falls.
All it takes is one trip or one nail in the foot to ruin someones day.

creeper 02-03-2013 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I bought my house the roof had just been done for the point of sale. Later that year when I opened the pool I found at least 1/2 dozen roofing nails in there and countless others around the perimeter. I still find one from time to time

joecaption 02-03-2013 07:57 AM

It's impossible to get them all.
When your using that stripping shovel and poping the nails they can fly a long ways.

Arsinek 02-03-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1108320)
That tub should have been covered with cardboard before doing any of that demo. It may be damaged already.
Makes no since to me to try and work over a pile of trash like that.
Your going to have to strip that down to the studs, kill all the mold and replace any rotted wood.
Shim out the studs until it even with the lip on the tub.
Insulate any outside walls.
The best enclosers are nailed to the studs with roofing nails and sheetrock is used above the enclosure.
The cheap thin ones get glued up over Green board. (moisture resistant drywall)
Both will need to be shimed to make up for the space lost space from removing the old tile and mud.


Ya, it might have been a good idea to bag it all as I went. Thats what Ill be doing today. As far as the tub, I plan on getting a new one.

ddawg16 02-03-2013 09:38 AM

Based on the 'writing on the wall', I'm guessing this was one of those foreclosed houses?

As for clean up....I have found that it's a lot easier to clean up as I go....it helps me find all the tools I misplaced, and it makes it a lot easier to work.

I've pretty much worn out my shop vac on this project.....

joecaption 02-03-2013 09:47 AM

When doing work like that make sure you use a real shop vac not your home vac, unless you want to have to go buy a new one.
I've had good luck with the Ridgid brand vac's. Do not buy the smaller one, hard to find the filters and the hose is to small and stays plugged up.

ddawg16 02-03-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1108531)
When doing work like that make sure you use a real shop vac not your home vac, unless you want to have to go buy a new one.
I've had good luck with the Ridgid brand vac's. Do not buy the smaller one, hard to find the filters and the hose is to small and stays plugged up.

Quickest way to piss off the wife is to use her nice carpet vac.....

Like Joe said...get the larger one....I think the hose is 2.5"....you'll spend less time clear blockages.

I have one of the smaller "Shop Vac" portable jobs...fine for dragging into small places, but I spend a lot of time clearing the hose of obstructions.

One suggestion.....get one of those 'rags' you can put over the filter.....especially if your sucking up drywall dust....the filter will last longer.....but you have to clean the rag off a bit more often....which is a lot easier to do than the main filter.

joecaption 02-03-2013 09:56 AM

They sell drywall bags just for this.
Cheese cloth also works.

ddawg16 02-03-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1108536)
They sell drywall bags just for this.
Cheese cloth also works.

HD sell those? I'll be starting drywall in about 4 weeks....I hope.

Arsinek 02-03-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1108531)
When doing work like that make sure you use a real shop vac not your home vac, unless you want to have to go buy a new one.
I've had good luck with the Ridgid brand vac's. Do not buy the smaller one, hard to find the filters and the hose is to small and stays plugged up.

I have a question, why did this happen? Was the tile not installed properly or does this always happen over time?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved