Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

Share |

Bathtub Seal

I live in a 1930's apartment building, and the bathroom has the original white and turquoise colored tile. I'm re-sealing between the wall tile and the bathtub. I believe the wall tiles are porcelain. I have DAP Kwik Seal and I have DAP Alex Plus Acrylic Latex Caulk with Silicone. The Kwik Seal doesn't seem to harden. After 24 hours, it's still soft, like modeling clay. I want the caulk to be permanent, but flexible, even a little hard. Should I use the Alex Plus instead? The area nearer the shower head, where I stand when showering, gets a lot of direct water splash during showering and seems to wear out much more quickly than the rest of the caulk around the tub. Right now I have a plastic bag taped to the ceramic tile covering that trouble spot, while the caulking dries, but it won't seem to dry. Should I try something different? Will that Alex Plus be a better choice?
Thanks.

Hypnotised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
DIY staff

Bathtub Seal

You are using a water soluable caulk---that will always fail---100% silicone will work---it's a bit tricky to install without making a mess---there are ways to do it neatly---Mike---

Old 04-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #3

Bathtub Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You are using a water soluable caulk---that will always fail---100% silicone will work---it's a bit tricky to install without making a mess---there are ways to do it neatly---Mike---
Mike,
I'm new at this. Thanks. I see now my mistake. I looked up silicone caulk online and I see that it's water resistant. Now I got it.
Will this DAP Alex Plus w/Silicone work, or should I just get the 100% silicone kind?
Link:
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=2

Tom
Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
DIY staff

Bathtub Seal

Alex is not good in a wet area---

Here is the easy way to install 100% silicone---

Surface must be clean and bone dry---use a razor blade to clean off all old caulk--hair dryer to make sure its dry--

Remember this--Silicone caulk will stick to any clean dry surface--it will not stick to a wet soapy surface---

With this method--always start at the bottom and work your way up---

Cut the tip of the tube--small opening--poke the seal inside the tube with wire--

Apply a thin bead of caulk--make sure you don't leave any voids--

Imediately spray the wet silicone with 'Greased Lightning' or '409' cleaner--spray your finger--tool the caulk with your finger---remove excess to a paper towel.

This is how the granite counter top installers get that fine perfect bead of caulk--Good luck--
Practice on something first if you want to---Mike---
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #5

Bathtub Seal

I'm sorry. I forgot to thank you for this great advice! Greatly appreciated!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #6

Bathtub Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Alex is not good in a wet area---

Here is the easy way to install 100% silicone---

Surface must be clean and bone dry---use a razor blade to clean off all old caulk--hair dryer to make sure its dry--

Remember this--Silicone caulk will stick to any clean dry surface--it will not stick to a wet soapy surface---

With this method--always start at the bottom and work your way up---

Cut the tip of the tube--small opening--poke the seal inside the tube with wire--

Apply a thin bead of caulk--make sure you don't leave any voids--

Imediately spray the wet silicone with 'Greased Lightning' or '409' cleaner--spray your finger--tool the caulk with your finger---remove excess to a paper towel.

This is how the granite counter top installers get that fine perfect bead of caulk--Good luck--
Practice on something first if you want to---Mike---
Thank you! Great advice. Appreciated.
Tom B.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotised For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-28-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Bathtub Seal

Also, use a kitchen and bath caulk, the regular caulk with silicone added will grow mildew on it in no time...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #8

Bathtub Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
Also, use a kitchen and bath caulk, the regular caulk with silicone added will grow mildew on it in no time...
That's exactly my problem. That, AND splitting apart. I'm going to use 100% silicone, or have building maintenance use it. They've been using the wrong stuff. Appreciate it.