Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Share |

Bathtub is depressing me

Ive got all the tile up except a couple odd cuts. Im out of tile so Ill go buy a couple individual pieces tomorrow. This was my first time ever tiling and while there are some funky spots Id say the tile turned out ok. But the thing that is disheartening is my botched tub install. If you stand on the end opposite where the valve is it creaks like crazy.

I didnt put the tub in any sort of mortar bed because the old tub was very similar and wasnt in a mortar bed and the directions didnt mention a mortar bed either. The tub has a styrofoam pad on the underneath, the old one had this as well, and the old one didnt creak. One thought Ive had is the creaking is due to the styrofoam pad being slightly pushed in on one end from me moving the tub around to much. But who knows. Another thought was the stringer was too high.

I dont even want to live here anymore so it shouldnt really bother me but when you put so much time and effort into something having it screwed up like that is depressing.

The thing thats crazy is I have another bathroom after this one that needs to be done. Im thinking about paying someone to do the tub and tile. I feel skill wise I could probably get everything done correctly a second time around but Im tired of spending my life in a bathroom.

Arsinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
DIY staff

Bathtub is depressing me

How do you think I feel? That's what I do for a living-------

Is there any way to get under that tub?

Cheer up---

Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Bathtub is depressing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
How do you think I feel? That's what I do for a living-------

Is there any way to get under that tub?

Cheer up---

I actually sort of have access to the underneath. I cut a hole in the wall in a closet that butts up against the bathroom so I could reinforce the cement board after I already put it in.

But I dont think theres anything I can do. Thing is probably moving like 1/32 of an inch or less but thats all it takes to creak. It sucks but I think Im going to have to live with it. I need to move on to the other bathroom.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
DIY staff

Bathtub is depressing me

You might be able to stop that noise with some Great Stuff foam---even a couple of wood shims might do the trick----
Old 09-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #5

Bathtub is depressing me

I tried shims but they were plastic. And I guess it wouldnt hurt to try the foam.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsinek For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-05-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #6

Bathtub is depressing me

I have the same problem with mine. But it creaked when i got it so it i didnt think anything of it creaking now. Not my tub anyhow, so it doesnt bother me. I would try the foam.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #7

Bathtub is depressing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
I have the same problem with mine. But it creaked when i got it so it i didnt think anything of it creaking now. Not my tub anyhow, so it doesnt bother me. I would try the foam.
Actually removed some of the shims and it sounds better now but the creaking is still there. But I had the thought normally when Im in the tub the water is going to be on so I probably wont hear it anyway.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #8

Bathtub is depressing me

Just go and drill a hole in the bottom of the tub. It will leak then and this will take your mind off the creaking.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #9

Bathtub is depressing me

The problem with the tub creaking is that it will eventually crack from the movement. Just about anything you can squeeze under it will help - rags, leftover insulation, spray foam, whatever. Stop the movement and the creaking will stop.

The next time you tile, be sure to buy enough for the entire job. Unless the individual pieces you need happen to be from the same lot number as all the rest, it's possible they will differ slightly in color and will stand out once installed.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 09-26-2013 at 06:11 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote