DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom Wall Fix

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Darylh 
#1 ·
The people that fixed up the the house I bought put wallpaper over the drywall in the bathroom. For pretty obvious reasons, the wallpaper is peeling in various areas in the bathroom. :furious: It looks bad, and I would like to know what would be the best way to remove the wallpaper without wrecking the drywall. Also is there a certain type of paint that works better for bathroom walls? There are also gaps between the drywall and the tub/shower surround, best way to fix that? All the help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
it depends on how the wallpaper was put on

Buy some wallpaper remover spray ($3-$5) and dounce the paper.
Wait 15 mins, and start at a corner and pull away.
If it's already peeling it should come off easy.
But if you do have to scrape, and need to repair drywall,
just use spackling, let it dry, and sand to a smooth finish.
Prime the wall with 2 coats primer
I suggest Benjamin Moore paint products. Their "Regal" brand is best.
They have a particular "Kitchen & Bath" brand also. Haven't used.
Even Benjamin Moore's second line is good, "Super Spec"
I like a eggshell finish, cus it doesn't reflect light as much as semi, and it's cleanable

good luck

#5 ·
These are the steps I take and have had 100% success.
Use fabric softener or wallpaper remover, spray on and let sit 10-15 minutes then peel off top layer pf paper then spray again and let sit for 10-15 minutes and remove with a 6- 8" plastic putty knife. When finished I wash the walls down with TSP and rinse well. Then I sand all the walls with 150grit sand paper on a hand sander or pole and clean up. Then I fill the holes and nicks with Spackle ( if any of the holes or nicks are protruding past the surface of the drywall then lightly push them in so the filler ends up flat and level with the wall. I now sand the filler with 150 grit paper and cleanup then prime, sand again, and paint. I also use Ben Moore paints. For kitchen and bath I use either "Moore's Style Pearl finish" or "Moore's collection Eggshell Enamel"
This is just my way to do this and have had great success.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.