DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom upgrade help

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  christy123 
#1 ·
I am planning to remodel a bathroom....this is an old house and bathroom is 5x8. I am considering removing the tub and replacing it with a shower with steam and water jets if my finaces allow me to do it all.

I considered buying an all in one bathroom enclosures but think custom made one may be cheaper and better looking.

DO you guys think this is possible . What fixtrures do I need and where can get them at a reasonable price.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Most things are "possible" but only you know what your pocketbook will handle financially. Hopefully, your bathroom already has an exhaust fan that is capable of handling the amount of moisture a steam shower unit will produce. You will need to go websurfing to find the cost of units you are interested in or check local supply houses. Check with your local Code office also, as most areas require a 2" drain for showers and most likely, your tub drain is 1-1/2" so there will need to be some plumbing changes also. Good luck with your project.

#4 ·
christy123,

As you may know, there are three options:

All-in-one shower stall unit: inexpensive, easy to clean, doesn't feel sturdy, great for rentals.

Fully tiled shower stall: the most elegant, building up the drain pan requires much knowledge and a very high degree of skill. Eventual leaks are common.

Tiled walls with pre-fab fiberglass shower base: This gets my vote!!! You get the elegance of tiled walls with none of the problems associated with a built-up tile shower floor.

Recently, there was an excellent episode of Ask This Old House where an all-in-one shower stall unit was replaced with a pre-fab fiberglass shower base and subsequent tiled walls. Like no other program, all the how-to details were covered. Here is the web reference:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvp...urces/episode/0,16663,1546904-1551836,00.html

...Christopher

#6 ·
Thanks for the detailed response. The bathroom is tiled actually but i think some of th tiles might get damaged as I would like the faucets moved to the opposite wall.... The floor tiles might get damaged when the old tub is removed.... it would be great if i dont have to put new tiles
the other thing I want to do is to move the sink to a different spot as well and get piping extended to the bedroom for the eventual( when my finances allow me ) installtion of a bath tub. With all this work , I suspect that I might end up with the need for new tiles.

Ideally I would just install one of these.../http://www.steamshowerwholesalers.com/

.but a friend of mine who is an architect told me that a custom made shower with similar features would be cheaper and would definitely look better.

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.