Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #1

Share |
Smile

Bathroom Tile

Good evening everyone!

Just recently moved into an older home that's requiring my TLC. Okay, a LOT of my TLC. I've already knocked out the painting (easy part). Now, I'm attempting to knock out the horrid bathroom tile. Excuse me for my lack of knowledge on this, but it's the tile that's in the bathtub area, on the walls. The color is a God-awful blue color. Not to mention, the mold from the previous owner. I've already picked out a new granite tiling to replace the old.

Where do I begin? What materials am I going to need? Anyone have experience in this area?

I've gone to my local Home Depot and they were completely clueless. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,
Stephanie

user86338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:23 AM   #2

Bathroom Tile

to change the walls is not that difficult protect the tub eyes hands make an opening in the existing wall and pull as big a section of as possible tile is sharp usually when new walls are built is when the diverter is changed as access will be difficult in the future clean walls to studs repair and damage install new insulation water proof sheetrock (aka wonderboard, durarock)in all wet areas sheetrock tape with mesh and thinset in wet areas compound & tape for the rest after prep figure a intellegent layout start at the bottom finish at the top same with grout mastic for wall install thinset for floor good luck don

Last edited by donbond; 08-11-2010 at 02:27 AM.
donbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #3

Bathroom Tile

A consideration with granite tiles in a tub surround is their porosity. You will want to be sure they are sealed before grouting and that everything is well sealed. There is lots of info on this site on tiling. Just look around.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Bathroom Tile

Since you two got it down, wanna come do it for me?!?! C'mon!

Anywho. Thanks for your response, Fellas!
user86338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
DIY staff

Bathroom Tile

Can you cook?

Go through some of the tiling posts---you will see a lot of progress shots.

Like Don said--protect tub---remove old wall coverings to the studs--

replace the mixer valve--add a few new 2x4s to make the walls flat--

add new backer board---tape corners and seams AS you tile---

Now back to cooking---------Oklahoma--Kind if hot there--Chips and fresh salsa--Quesadillas,and some ice cold honey Dew----I'll be there Saturday at 7 am.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Bathroom Tile

Stephanie, like Mike wrote, there are a lot of good posts here on this subject. I've only done one or two small tiling projects so I don't claim to be an expert, but I learned a lot from looking through old threads.

There is enough information on this subject to write a book. Or several. Pick one up. If you're on a budget, check out your local library. Just make sure it is relatively current. Procedures and products change! Then, please feel free to come back and ask specific questions. I don't mean to be rude but there really is too much information to cover in a single thread.

Good luck,
Jill

Oh, yeah. Don't follow the advice of anyone at Lowe's or Home Depot. I can tell you from experience they seldom know what they are talking about. And don't let them talk you into using any sort of mastic in the shower walls!

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, remodeling, tile