Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

bathroom subfloor missing


We recently bought a house and have found a few things that the owner did not disclose to us. We had a leak coming from the master bath through the downstairs ceiling. Turns out the bath tub faucet piping was too short so we fixed that by buying a new faucet with an adapter. We decided to make sure that it wasn't leaking and went up through a vent from the downstars. The vent was just a cover-up for the poor bathroom remodel job that they did. They cut a 2 x 2 ft hole through the subfloor and we can see the tub etc. Should we be concerned that there is no subfloor and that the piping was not placed through the existing cyclinder hole in the subfloor?

Any help/ comments would be appreciated!

mherman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,083
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

bathroom subfloor missing


Can you post a photo?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

bathroom subfloor missing


Quote:
Originally Posted by mherman333 View Post
We recently bought a house and have found a few things that the owner did not disclose to us. We had a leak coming from the master bath through the downstairs ceiling. Turns out the bath tub faucet piping was too short so we fixed that by buying a new faucet with an adapter. We decided to make sure that it wasn't leaking and went up through a vent from the downstars. The vent was just a cover-up for the poor bathroom remodel job that they did. They cut a 2 x 2 ft hole through the subfloor and we can see the tub etc. Should we be concerned that there is no subfloor and that the piping was not placed through the existing cyclinder hole in the subfloor?

Any help/ comments would be appreciated!

If I am understanding your post right....then my next question would be: Is any area of the bottom of the tub NOT being supported by the subfloor (weight)?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

bathroom subfloor missing


Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
If I am understanding your post right....then my next question would be: Is any area of the bottom of the tub NOT being supported by the subfloor (weight)?
Yes there is an area of about 2 ft x 2 ft that is not supported by a subfloor.
mherman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

bathroom subfloor missing


Quote:
Originally Posted by mherman333 View Post
Yes there is an area of about 2 ft x 2 ft that is not supported by a subfloor.
If the actual bottom of the tub or an area of the tub looks as if it is not being supported, You can try to place pieces of plywood or shims between the joists and tub bottom.
Also: If you place cut-outs of the floor (Usually 3/4"), you can then place 2x10 lengths next to the exising joists to 'sister' them and 'lock your plywood into place under the tub.
If this is a fiberglass tub, you definitely want the whole area underneath to be supported.
Another means of additional support to other areas is spray foam (Plumbers use it all the time).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring in New Addition? sandyman720 Electrical 6 11-27-2011 04:34 PM
Leaking bathroom floor patatura Flooring 6 12-06-2008 07:30 PM
Second level / attic bathroom size moneymgmt General DIY Discussions 2 05-02-2007 08:32 AM
Redmodeling basement bathroom amakarevic Plumbing 5 04-23-2007 09:36 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.