DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom shower sill installation question

10K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bocci 
#1 ·
:eek: Hi husband and I are trying to remodel our small townhouse bathroom..we took out sink, toilet, old tiles, old shower door and sill (no tub just shower) husband took apart the sill (is that what you call it? ) it was tiled and underneath it had 3 long pieces of wood which were rotting..so we retiled the bathroom floor, but now we are not too sure what to do about the sill..can we buy a long piece marble that can be stepped over to get into shower, or can we put 3 boards together, tile them and will it work as well? also is there some type of covering that goes over the wood before the tile?

here is a picture (before toilet on left was taken out) the sill was in the dirt area in front..

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Boccime/140-4093_IMG.jpg

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yes, you absolutely can buy a piece of marble threshold for that area. If you can't find one at a local 'big home' type center that will fit that area, then look around at some local granite places (Countertop makers, etc.) They have waste (cut offs) that they can make one in the exact measurement you need for cheap.

Tiling: If you choose to tile that area: Normally, you would build up the threshold with Pressure treated lumber and the whole thing would have then been 'rolled' and covered with a rubber-type waterproof membrane that would have continued under the tile layed on the shower floor and then rolled up the shower wall slightly. Over this would have been installed cement board (Dura Rock). This is what your tile should have been originally attached to.
Since this wasn't done, You could just use the cement board (Dura-rock) layered to the thickness you need and glued together and to the concrete floor with construction adhesives or tile adhesive. Silicone the area where the cement board meets the floor. Then apply your tile over all that.

Personally, I would try to go with a thick piece of marble, with rounded over edges....like a thick threshold. Thick: So it will keep the shower run off in the shower area.

- 2 cents -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.