Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Renovation

Ok, I am looking at totally gutting my one and only bathroom in the house. Looking at taking it all down to nothing, and putting it back up in a weekend (any longer, and my gf wouldn't have it). I can get away with not having it 100% over the weekend, if basically the only thing left is painting.

The bathroom is 5' wide, by 92" long... yeah, it is TINY.

I am looking at replacing it all, new tub, pedestal sink and tub. I am confident that I can do this all, in the allotted time. I was originally looking at a 3 piece tub/shower combination, but I wouldn't have any access to the rear of the shower to put the taps in, so it looks like I am going to be doing a tub, with an acrylic surround. What I am most concerned about, is what to do above the tub/shower? currently, there is a bulkhead above it, and it is all tiled (the whole bathroom is tiled). I was looking at removing it, but should I just drywall it, and paint it?

The reason I am doing this, completely, is that the house is old, and there isn't much insulation in the walls, and the windows need replacing...

My timeline is like this:

Friday after work: remove walls, and floor (keep toilet in though) and hopefully remove the tub.

Saturday morning: have the bathroom completely gutted, down to studs, remove window, and install the drop-in replacement. Do some minor electrical (add ceiling exhaust fan, maybe get a light for over the tub) rewiring. Put new plumbing in for sink and tub, and ABS drains.

Saturday afternoon: insulate, vapor barrier, drywall and drop tub in, finish walls, and tile floor Saturday evening.

Sunday: grout, toilet and sink.

Ambitious? yeah, i think so... I have my buddy helping, but there isn't enough room for anyone else. Do you think it is doable? what should I look at changing, or doing differently? or what have I forgotten?

Thanks in advance!

TheStapler.

TheStapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

Bathroom Renovation

Whoops... sorry, wrong forum... my mistake

Old 11-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #3

Bathroom Renovation

permit ,,inspections, ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #4

Bathroom Renovation

what?

I guess, that means... my plans are out the window for now... I keep forgetting about permits, and inspections...

since inspections are most likely going to mess with my time line...

Hmmm....
Old 11-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #5

Bathroom Renovation

sorry ... ben sr
Old 11-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #6

Bathroom Renovation

Not even a remote chance of getting it done that fast.
Time for a more patient girl friend.
No way would I redo an old bathroom without changing all the shut offs, most often most of the plumbing, new shower valve.
Start tearing it down and run into an old mud job and your going to be more then a day getting just that out and cleaning up.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #7

Bathroom Renovation

Well yeah, the water would be shut off, and everything would be opened up, so replacing the shutoffs, and lines isn't a big deal.

looks like I might be taking a few days off, maybe start on monday, and work the weekend before and after, so that way if i need inspections, they can do it during the week...

I dunno, might need to rethink this... either way, it has to get done, as the taps I can't even find o-rings that fit, so I can fix the leak/drip...
Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
DIY staff

Bathroom Renovation

I have built a bathroom or two----

Here is a time line for you---

Day one---protect house---demo to the studs dispose of debris.replace/add studs and framing.
Day two and three---mechanical---rework any obsolete piping and drains--install tub and surround-add tub mixer valve.
update electrical--often a new dedicated circuit is needed--fan/light---duct work.

day four---insulate----add drywall and tape
day five---more drywall finishing

day six---durrock floor and set tile
day seven--grout floor--prime and one coat of paint--install vanity--base moldings and door casing.
day eight--final coat of paint---trim out---mixer valve cover/tub spout/shower head--mirror---light fixtures--towel bars--toilet---caulk.

Add one more day if the tub gets tile---

I have banged out a few in much less time----but the hours did not change---simply the crews worked around the clock---

Day three
Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #9

Bathroom Renovation

Please don't take my ignorance as me being a smrt a$$, but the bathroom is not even 40 square feet... so floor tile is ~ 25 square feet... I am not going to re-tile the walls, or the ceiling, there is an acrylic tub surround going in, and the walls, there isn't a lot of drywall to do... so, gutting it in an evening isn't really out of the question.. the basement isn't finished, and it is right over the laundry room, so even if I had to replace everything, i am not having to go very far (for electrical or plumbing).

again, not trying to sound like he-man, or superman, but 8 days on a 40sqft bathroom seems like a lot?

I do value your input though, and it does raise some things, making my timeline think i should bank on at least 5 days... now, how to tell my gf she is going to be without the only bathroom in the house for 5 days... that is going to be fun.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #10

Bathroom Renovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStapler View Post
Please don't take my ignorance as me being a smrt a$$, but the bathroom is not even 40 square feet... so floor tile is ~ 25 square feet... I am not going to re-tile the walls, or the ceiling, there is an acrylic tub surround going in, and the walls, there isn't a lot of drywall to do... so, gutting it in an evening isn't really out of the question.. the basement isn't finished, and it is right over the laundry room, so even if I had to replace everything, i am not having to go very far (for electrical or plumbing).

again, not trying to sound like he-man, or superman, but 8 days on a 40sqft bathroom seems like a lot?

I do value your input though, and it does raise some things, making my timeline think i should bank on at least 5 days... now, how to tell my gf she is going to be without the only bathroom in the house for 5 days... that is going to be fun.
if your having that much concern handling that with her.....don't get married... ben sr
Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #11

Bathroom Renovation

here is my time line.....file for permit...pick up permit place in window...gut bath..do all mechanicals get inspections if needed... finish of job at a safe and curitous manner to a proper completion .... ben sr
Old 11-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #12

Bathroom Renovation

Pick up a 5 gallon bucket and a number 2 wash tub......and some flowers
big juicy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
DIY staff

Bathroom Renovation

No matter how small a job is, drywall mud--thinset and paint all take time to dry---so does grout---and caulk---

You will have some short days---that's why it takes so long to do certain phases of the work----

We usually figure 10 to 14 days from start to finish on a full bath----

literally working around the clock,we knocked off some in four days---
Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #14

Bathroom Renovation

yes mike, but were you motivated by a gf without a bathroom?????????? ; )

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
K&B Designer

Bathroom Renovation

A professional's timeline and an DIYer's timeline aren't the same. Tools and experience make a huge difference. At a minimum, double any time you think you can do the project in. Bathrooms are home to hidden moisture damage that always always always eats into your time and money allotted. The older the bath, the worse it is. Hire a portapotty. Learn to do a spit bath. And let your girlfriend go to a hotel if she can't deal. Personally, high maintenance, either in decor or relationships, is a waste of time that can be spent doing something more productive, with someone who can maybe assist in being productive.

GBrackins (11-14-2013), jaydevries (11-17-2013), jmon (11-14-2013), joecaption (11-17-2013), md2lgyk (11-14-2013)