Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Reno Challenges

Hello folks,

So I just tore out the bathroom (except the tub) couldn't loosen the drain but I got the wrench so that's tomorrows project. Anyway... after tearing out the drywall, and the linoleum w/ 1/4 " sub I found a considerable amount of water damage. It does seem to be relatively isolated but it has damages to corner stud and two sole plates. I am wondering about replacing them and the sub floor.

I don't know if they are load bearing (but I think they are) and was wondering how big of a job it is to do on my own/how much would is cost to have someone do it? I've done some research and it seems pretty straight forward but I'm finding there is always some catch to everything. This is by far the biggest hurdle of this reno, plumbing, electrical and everything else seems A-OK. Anyway hopefully these pictures help.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Reno Challenges-sole-plate-1.jpg   Bathroom Reno Challenges-sole-plate-1-2.jpg   Bathroom Reno Challenges-subfloor-soleplate-studs.jpg   Bathroom Reno Challenges-damaged-stud-sole-plate.jpg   Bathroom Reno Challenges-wide-lower-shot-affected-area.jpg  

firsttimerenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

Bathroom Reno Challenges

I included the outside wall/corner so you can have an idea of what going on. It's a little crowded inside the bathroom. Part of me wishes I never found it but I'm glad I did before something bad happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Reno Challenges-beam-going-across-former-valance.jpg   Bathroom Reno Challenges-top-corner-sole-1-2.jpg   Bathroom Reno Challenges-top-damages-stud.jpg   Bathroom Reno Challenges-wide-upper-shot-affected-area.jpg   Bathroom Reno Challenges-outside-view-affected-area-upper.jpg  

Bathroom Reno Challenges-outside-view-affected-area-lower.jpg  

Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #3

Bathroom Reno Challenges

Kind of similar to a reno I did a few years ago except that the rotted wood was not part of a load bearing wall.
First, you have got to get rid of as much rotted wood as you can. It's rotten and will continue to be a weak point in the structure even if you completely stop the leaks and dry it out.
If you are sure it is load bearing you will need to get a couple of jacks to release the load so you can replace the rotten stuff. Not a problem for DIY except that a pro would have all the tools and experience to do it quickly whereas you might have to take a couple of days and extra trips to Home Depot to get it done.
Just rip out the rotten stuff and piece in good wood. Lots of measuring and cutting that's all.
Hopefully you can rent the jacks but if not, just sell them on eBay or donate them to Habit for Humanity when you are done.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #4

Bathroom Reno Challenges

So we bought the place knowing their was potential water damage but I didn't think it would be this bad. We did get a reduce price on the house due to it however when we purchased the home the owners said they hadn't used the shower in years due to the leak and we haven't used in since we bought it last April (2012) and have be using the other shower downstairs. The wood is completely dry and so I think the spread of rot has be slowed/stopped.

I was wondering how I would use the jack/jacks to support the wall? How would one hook that up?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #5

Bathroom Reno Challenges

First you need to confirm where the load bearing parts are. Kind of difficult to explain in a forum post but you can start by finding where all the joists are (floor and ceiling). You say this is upstairs. Is there nothing but attic space above? You will need to look into the attic to see if anything like roof trusses or anything else heavy is supported by this wall.
Are the floor joists supported directly below this partition wall? If you are far from a support from below, then it is unlikely it is supporting a lot of weight.
If you do need to support while replacing rotted wood, you will want to have a couple of screw jacks set up as close as possible to the area you are going to work on. Put 2x6 on the floor and push another 2x6 up along the ceiling joists (perpendicular to joists of course). You just need to tighten the jacks a bit. Don't raise the ceiling more than 1/8 inch. I would also rip out the rotted subfloor first. You need to get it out of there before you jack things up an you need to know how much rot has got to the floor joists. Hopefully not much.
Pull the bad wood and replace. Leaving out lots of details but you get the idea.

Last edited by chiraldude; 12-05-2013 at 10:07 AM.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #6

Bathroom Reno Challenges

Ok turns out non are load bearing and it all worked out...so far.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #7

Bathroom Reno Challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimerenos View Post
Ok turns out non are load bearing and it all worked out...so far.
i was going to say that. they are just built out walls to fit the stuff in the room.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote