Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Bathroom remodel snafu

Bathroom is gutted, am installing new fixtures for tub/shower, toilet, and sink. Also installing new drywall ( green board ) , ceramic tile for shower surround and floor.
The problem right now is getting the depth inside the wall for the water valve. The instructions provided are useless ( who writes that stuff ? ).
I had screwed the valve to 2x4 but that was to much, then tried 1x4 which looked like it would work. put up the drywall piece I cut for it and now it is too shallow .
the only thing that comes to my mind is building up with 1/2 in. material behind the valve which will be difficult but not impossible. Any sugestions would be very welcome.

RocknRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #2

Bathroom remodel snafu

You're having trouble mounting the shower valve at the right distance back from the finished wall?

Why not just mount your 1x4 a little closer to the finished wall? Not as far back between the studs.

Am I misunderstanding the question?

The 1x4 doesn't need to be all the way back in the stud-space.

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Bathroom remodel snafu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoller View Post
Bathroom is gutted, am installing new fixtures for tub/shower, toilet, and sink. Also installing new drywall ( green board ) , ceramic tile for shower surround and floor.
The problem right now is getting the depth inside the wall for the water valve. The instructions provided are useless ( who writes that stuff ? ).
I had screwed the valve to 2x4 but that was to much, then tried 1x4 which looked like it would work. put up the drywall piece I cut for it and now it is too shallow .
the only thing that comes to my mind is building up with 1/2 in. material behind the valve which will be difficult but not impossible. Any sugestions would be very welcome.
Use a 2x4 or 2x6 (even better) place on the "flat" between the studs. Also, DON'T USE GREEN BOARD for the walls and tile. Use cement board.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

Bathroom remodel snafu

Atlantic: AMEN BROTHER NO GREEN BOARD Cement board for tile backer and the new paperless drywall for the rest of the bathroom. Darn I cant think of the name of it either, think USG has it out, its even in the Borg boxes
You know what it is fer shure. AHHHHHHHHH DENSHIELD DATS ITmighr b spelled wrong but dats its name.
JackM

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-19-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Minor language use
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Bathroom remodel snafu

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Atlantic: AMEN BROTHER NO GREEN BOARD Cement board for tile backer and the new paperless drywall for the rest of the bathroom. Darn I cant think of the name of it either, think USG has it out, its even in the Borg boxes
You know what it is fer shure. AHHHHHHHHH DENSHIELD DATS ITmighr b spelled wrong but dats its name.
JackM
Georgia Pacific DENSARMOR (Paperless Drywall)
This stuff:

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4899

http://www.stopfeedingmold.com/
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
Custom Cabinet Maker

Bathroom remodel snafu

SEE ATLANTIC I KNEW YOU KNEW DAT
jACK

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote