Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom remodel - recessed light above shower

I'm remodeling a small bathroom, this house was built in 78 and i guess they didn't like big bathrooms back then. I've taken it down to the studs so far. The vanity was seperated from the shower and toilet by a wall, which i've knocked down all except for 32 inches to encase the shower. I've also taken out the cheesy overhangs above the shower and vanity.

I'm playing around with lighting ideas, right now there is just 1 light above the toilet area. i really want to bring some light into the shower that we never had before, so I'm thinking about adding a recessed light above the shower, question is what size light to put in? 3,4,5 inch? What light would be suitable for a 60x32 shower mounted 8' above the floor? Does it even matter what size can I buy?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom remodel - recessed light above shower-p1010313s.jpg   Bathroom remodel - recessed light above shower-p1010316s.jpg  

bigburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Remodeler

Any size is fine. Just make sure it's a waterproof one. I have a 5 or 6 inch one above my tub.

KlintP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlintP View Post
Any size is fine. Just make sure it's a waterproof one. I have a 5 or 6 inch one above my tub.
I actually couldn't find one on home depot's website that was waterproof, it looked like you just buy a regular light and use a special shower cover/lens with it. Is this right?
bigburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Here is one possibility for you:

http://www.nextag.com/light-recessed-shower/shop-html
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigburb View Post
I actually couldn't find one on home depot's website that was waterproof, it looked like you just buy a regular light and use a special shower cover/lens with it. Is this right?
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. You buy a special trim piece that is specifically for wet areas. It sounds like you found it. Usually the lens is frosted and that gives a nice effect to the light.
KlintP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #6

Yes BB you can get any size can light just make sure it has a glass cover (usually has a rubber seal) that will fit the size. Easy to find them at Home Depot for 5" and 6". It might be harder to find in smaller sizes. You can never have enough light in the shower. Really nice ones can even be built into seats. Similar to a pool light. I have one planned for my next master bath.
HitLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Or use a fan/light combo just outside the wet area to pick up the moisture at it's source.
Be safe, Gary

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote