Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

bathroom remodel questions

Hi all! New to the forum and just had a few questions I could not find after searching. I am renovating my master bath, part of this involves refinishing the vanity with new doors and drawer fronts. The local places seem pretty high for that kind of work, but I found some online sites to order from at significant savings (especially RefaceDepot.com). Anyone ever order replacement doors/drawerfronts online? Any opinions about dealing with online supply? Also I am replacing the vanity top and would like a solid surface. I have a large size (84 x 22) and it is more expensive than I originally planned. I can get a local granite company to do it for about a grand, but this is higher than I was hoping. Any suggestions on bringing down the cost? Or some less expensive alternitives to granite/marble (wife has said no to tile). Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #2

Hi Jeff,

I redid my condo bath a few years ago and also was horrified by the cost of my wished for marble top. I landed up using marble floor tile and considering the cost was $200, compared to the $1,000 plus for slab, I love it. They even used to show marble tile countertops in an old Pottery Barn catalogue. Maybe that will help convince your wife.

Good luck!

Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #3

I was very interested in granite countertops -- but the cost was too steep.

I put in granite tile with a thin mortar joint and used epoxy mortar (waterproof, stainproof, basically indestructable when hardened). It looks fabulous (if I do sa so myself) and it was pretty cheap. Granite tiles range from $3 per tile and up. I did the top of my beer fridge in the cheapest granite I could find, and it looks great too

I'm sold on the granite tile countertops.
StevePM is offline   Reply With Quote