Bathroom Remodel...is This Mold?!?!?! - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
DIY Expert in Training!

Rewards Points: 250

Bathroom remodel...is this mold?!?!?!

Ripped out my basement bathroom tonight. We knew there was some mold when shortly after we bought the house. As I tore out the dry wall I found the following around the window. The window goes into a screened in porch. There is obvious black mold then brown dusty type stuff. Is that mold too???

What is it and what the heck do I do???

Advertisement

Last edited by gone_fishing; 01-16-2008 at 08:52 PM.
gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
DIY Expert in Training!

This picture is a close up. The wood has channels or ridges. I used a screw driver to see if it was bored out but it seemed solid. Is this termites or carpenter ants?

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
DIY Expert in Training!

Here's me in action:

Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You have termites. Those brown things are mud tunnels. You need a termite treatment. Termites are attracted to wet areas. When the leak wasn't detected by you, it was detected by the termites.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
DIY Expert in Training!

Termites it is...I have a contract with Terminix. My feeling is that they will blame this on past damage and not pay a penny. I called my insurance co (USAA) but I feel like I am being indicted with the questions...hope I didn't say or do anything wrong here...wife is really upset. I am REALLY frustrated.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #6

Very rarely will the home insurance pay for this damage. I've heard that termite insurance will pay for it with a special policy, but I've never had first hand experience that it did.
The main issue you might discover is that the termites have compromised structural elements that will need to be replaced. I once had a customer who had termites eat 18 feet of the sill along the back of the house. I had to jack up the house to support the load and pull out the 4x6 and replace it with pressure treated double 2x6's the length of the house. Then go to the second floor and replace 11 feet of top plate and the rim joist.
Typically, termite insurance just pays for a retreat in the effected areas. They won't treat the whole house again. The fact that you have termites means the original treatment has lost it's effectiveness or there were holes in the barrier around the house. Older treatments drilled into the houses perimeter every 12-15" and pumped termiticide into the holes. The solution would connect underground, hole to hole and establish a barrier which the termites would not cross. Sort of like a moat. But if the holes were too far apart, or at the front and back steps to the house, not deep enough, there would be large gaps where the termites would continue to enter the house.
Even if the application were complete there could be issues. The termiticide used since chlordane was banned has a limited effective life span, maybe 7 years at best. If leaders are spilling too close to the house the termiticide is diluted and the lifespan is reduced. If you dig down against the foundation for some reason, you could disturb the barrier.
Only a few companies still use the pumped chemicals any more. Most have converted to the bait station method. Around here(LI,NY) Terminex only pumps houses that were pumped before, but they try to sell you the Sentricon bait station method. I originally thought it was a bunch of crap, but ever since seeing it actually work, it seems like an effective way to kill a nest. It just can take a few years to do so while the termites that are unaffected are still eating away at your house.
Best way is to reestablish the barrier AND add the bait stations.
My experience is that of a remodeling contractor for 30 years, not as a pesticide expert.

Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

I had a similar problem around and underneath my shower. Also had a termite contract (Sentricon stations) with one of the national companies. My contract had wording to the effect that if the termite damage is caused by a leak/excessive moisture, company is not liable for damage. There was evidence of a leak in the shower pan so company would not pay for damage (extensive since I had to end up tearing out ceramic tile shower). They did make a token payment (couple hundred dollars) since "I had been a good customer". Good luck!

David
dasajame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
DIY Expert in Training!

It has all been removed and replaced with fresh wood, new window. All properly sealed.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
It has all been removed and replaced with fresh wood, new window. All properly sealed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
Glad to here that everything is allset. Now put that shiny-new crowbar away and grab a 12 pack......
Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
DIY Expert in Training!

Didn't say I was done...just 75% done that part! Next step is to frame out a new wall for a door...frame out 2 bulkheads for HVAC.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 AM   #11
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Thanks for the update picture. Looks good!!

...I had just assumed that, since it's been 4 weeks..... .

...Well, you can still include the 12 pack thing...
Old 02-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #12
DIY Expert in Training!

I ran into some problems with the job...first, the old window was a replacement window but there wasn't anything to waterproof the frame. The window was installed sideways then caulked. It was laying in a bed of about 3 tubes of caulk. I used self adhessive membrane over the wood and covering the sheething outside. I installed and caulked/insulated. Will install Brick mould casing on the outside to help seal then reinstall the siding.

Once I am done I will put up pictures of the whole project.

Advertisement