Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom floor repair

Old toilet leaks have rotted flooring around toilet. I have inspected from crawl space and damage does not appear to migrate under the tub. I plan to remove a small vanity w/ sink and the toilet to make the flooring repair. I want to leave the tub/shower where they are and work only on the exposed flooring. I also wish to replace the linoleum w/ tiles. I'm sure there have been posts on these subjects in the past and I would appreciate any words of wisdom that I could get before starting this project. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Mike

mik1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #2

Bathroom floor repair

Aside form your tub, I would replace the entire sub-floor for you tiles, not just the rotted parts. Give you new tile floor a strong flat surface. It might be possible to cover the old subfloor with your new one. As long as adding the height won't effect anything major.

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Bathroom floor repair

Thanks, monkeywrench! I plan to do just that! I'm going to remove everything but the tub and replace the whole subfloor that is exposed. I will also be working to get the subfloor to a height that will allow me to put down the new tile and keep the same finished height as the present floor.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

Bathroom floor repair

Mike,
It isn't discussed, but I assume that you know to put the tiles on cement backerboard and not directly onto wood, such as plywood, or the grout and tiles can crack.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #5

Bathroom floor repair

Thanks, Mike. I was not aware of that. Does the backerboard come in the same thickness as subfloor plywood?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

Bathroom floor repair

Backerboard comes in 1/4" and 1/2". Generally 1/4" is used on floors and 1/2" is used on walls. Check the mfgr's. specs for the tile you are going to use. They are usually pretty specific as to the the types of subfloor, underlayment, types of thinset, etc. for their product. Failure to follow their guidelines will void your warranty. You may want to post on the flooring forum for more help....