Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom exhaust fan

I'm looking to add an exhaust fan in my bathroom. Are there any codes that I should have to follow to where I should place the fan and the vent? I was thinking of venting on the roof but would like vent on the side of my house.

I live in maine, which I'm assuming would make a difference.

Last edited by johnsorious; 06-03-2013 at 10:31 AM.
johnsorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,464

Bathroom exhaust fan

This is where it helps to have your location in your profile. In some areas, there are issues with 'cold' weather....something about that white stuff that can collect on roof...warm air from the vent melts it...turns to ice...keep repeating the cycle...pretty soon it's all blocked...

You need to check with your local building and safety on any local requirements....there is a max limit on how far.

In most cases, the manuf will have the details in their instructions. I think it's rare that they go contrary to code.

Try to avoid using the flexible plastic stuff that comes with most fans....I used 4" hard pipe. Hopefully some of the experts will chime in...I believe you can use PVC if you want.

One piece of advice....get a quiet one....most of them will list the noise on Sones. If you get one that is about 4 Sones or less...it won't drown out a conversation...

I connected mine to a occupancy sensor. The people in my house do NOT know how to turn off lights. Ours also has a light...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

Bathroom exhaust fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16
This is where it helps to have your location in your profile. In some areas, there are issues with 'cold' weather....something about that white stuff that can collect on roof...warm air from the vent melts it...turns to ice...keep repeating the cycle...pretty soon it's all blocked...

You need to check with your local building and safety on any local requirements....there is a max limit on how far.

In most cases, the manuf will have the details in their instructions. I think it's rare that they go contrary to code.

Try to avoid using the flexible plastic stuff that comes with most fans....I used 4" hard pipe. Hopefully some of the experts will chime in...I believe you can use PVC if you want.

One piece of advice....get a quiet one....most of them will list the noise on Sones. If you get one that is about 4 Sones or less...it won't drown out a conversation...

I connected mine to a occupancy sensor. The people in my house do NOT know how to turn off lights. Ours also has a light...
I am located in Greene, me.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,464

Bathroom exhaust fan

Yea...you get the white stuff.....the only time I see it is on TV.

If you don't mind...put that in your profile...ME would be enough...it's not like Maine is the size of Texas....though I must add, Maine is a very fine state...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #5

Bathroom exhaust fan

I'm leaning towards venting through the side of the house. Is there an advantage of venting through the roof versus the side?

Also can I find the local codes for venting online?
Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,130

Bathroom exhaust fan

As far as I'm concerned, venting through the roof is always the last option. Especially when you get snow - as little as three inches and your vent would be covered. And in cold climates, vented vapor can condense in the piping and drip back into the bathroom. Further, any hole in your roof CAN leak; through exterior walls, hardly ever.

I agree that ME is a fine state. I lived there for a few years (Wiscassett/Boothbay Harbor area) back in the 1970s when the Maine Yankee nuclear plant was operating.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,022

Bathroom exhaust fan

Maine Building Codes can be found here http://www.maine.gov/dps/bbcs/

normally such things as a bathroom exhaust fan would fall under manufacturer's specifications and recommendation not the actual code. codes require that mechanical systems be installed per the manufacturer instructions.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom exhaust fan

If you vent out the wall, try not to do so under a ventilated soffit, or you may just pull some of that moist air back into your attic.

pkovo is offline   Reply With Quote