DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom drywall question...

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  bjbatlanta 
#1 ·
I know this question had been addressed a million times, but here it is again. My new shower surround has a nailing flange, to attach it directly to the studs. I'll be drywalling over that flange to butt right up against the surround. My shower is at one end of a rectangular bathroom, so it's not an alcove. The walls continue past the shower flange all the way across the bathroom, including a door on one side, and toilet/vanity on the other side. A few question:

1. What do I do with that tiny gap between the drywall and surround? Just caulk it after priming/painting is done? Or fill with mud and then prime and paint? Or...? If I just caulk it, obviously white caulk has to be used (not clear) so the crack isn't visible, right?

2. Where do I put the last screw on that edge up against the flange? I don't really want to screw through the edge of the drywall through the flange and then into the stud - I don't want to risk cracking that surround flange at all. Do I just make sure there is some blocking right next to the flange to screw drywall into, and leave the last 1.25" of the drywall without screws over the flange?

3. What about the front corner of the flange? That is, where the front vertical flange turns a corner at the top of the shower and becomes the top flange? The drywall "bulge" takes a turn there. To make it look as good as possible, should I make sure that I'm just using a single piece of drywall there, or is that vertical a good place for a butt seam?

Let me know what you think, especially if you have installed one of these before, or done drywall around one. Thanks!

See less See more
#6 ·
Mud up to it. Float all the way around with mud. Sand. Then run a bead of caulk between the surround and drywall. Make sure it's a high quality caulk that is paint able. I have used silicone once and the painters were PO'd.

A general rule of thumb is to use caulk between unlike surfaces.

PO'd would be putting it mildly at best!:laughing: Silicone chalk should be outlawed in the hands of most people, professionals and DIY alike.:yes:

#7 ·
Has anyone ever actually done this? This would be a huge space to just fill with hot mud, right? I mean, the flange is 1 1/4", and it would be 3/8" deep to bring it out to the same level as the 1/2" drywall all around it. That's a lot of mud, and the flange itself doesn't give much to adhere to, since it's slick and smooth. Thoughts?

#8 ·
Some how I get the impression you are not too thrilled with that idea. Another way to go is to shim out the walls with butt shims on the 2x's. This will also appear to be more flat. I would still flat tape it either way. I've done it both ways.

#10 ·
1. Latex caulk.
2. I wouldn't recommend the quick-set mud/tape method for fill, personally. I'd shim the framing at the flange or just screw through the flange into the framing. Do it all the time and never had a crack. Pre-drill if you're worried about that....
3. Single piece if possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.