Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Bath vanity help

Hi all, I've run into a snag with my bathroom reno. I moved two walls back roughly 4" to gain any extra room I could in my small full bath. I measured and measured, but things just aren't working out the way I had planned.

I am swapping the places of the toilet and vanity. The toilet was the first thing you see when you open the door, now its in between the vanity and tub. The tub is a curved apron American Standard. It is already installed with the Structolite dried, so there's no going back there.

The problem I have run into is that the toilet needs to move away from the tub (plumbing is a non-issue, not completed). The consequence to that is that the 30" vanity I wanted to use will not work now. I need something that is about 27-28" wide. I am looking for a solid wood vanity, preferably with drawers.

I have been to the big box stores with no luck. Has anyone run into the same situation with a good ending? If nothing is available as a stocking item, can anyone recommend a source to have a custom cabinet built? Thanks for any help.

Graham

gjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,472

Bath vanity help

Little known ---but all kitchen cabinet manufacturers also have matching vanities---special order,but a wide variety of sizes---

I know your area a bit---there are a lot of custom cabinet shops in your area----start making calls---have a style in mind----door styles affect the price---as do wood species--

Also---matching filler strips are available for all better cabinets---so adding a 3 inch filler to a stock 24 Inch cabinet might be an option----

Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #3

Bath vanity help

Mike, I had considered the filler as an option. Menards actually can get the base I need, but its $450 and a 3 week wait. I guess its going to be my best bet, but my girlfriend doesn't want to wait. My buddy that is a contractor is not letting me do my own tile (12x24 and 4x16) so he is paying his tile guy to do it for me, but I have to wait for it. I guess I should just order the cabinet I need and just have everything ready to go. Thanks!

G
Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,472

Bath vanity help

Order that cabinet----if you like it---the wait will be worth it---
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #5

Bath vanity help

Mike,

I am going to just build it myself with the help of a local cabinet shop. It will be the size I need and look how I want it. I've got the luxury of having a hardwood mill about 3 blocks away, too. I will post a few pics when its done.