Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bath or no bath?

We have a four bedroom house with Master en-suite(bath and seperate shower) and family bathroom (bath with shower above)

The family bathroom has suffered some water damage and is about to be renovated.

My Wife would like to remove the bath altogether, and replace it with a shower cubicle as "we don't need two baths!"

I am not so sure as I feel it will affect the resale value/potential, especially to families with young children.

Can anyone offer some guidance on this?

kenarmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Bath or no bath?

You are probably right. Anybody looking at a 4 bedroom house could well have small kids and will want a family bath with a tub. No tub may limit your market of buyers. On top of that, the cost difference between a shower cube and tub/shower combo is not that great, all things considered.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,020

Bath or no bath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
You are probably right. Anybody looking at a 4 bedroom house could well have small kids and will want a family bath with a tub. ......
Ditto from Me
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Bath or no bath?

yep, you should keep the tub in the main bath for resale.

If it was an en suite or extra bath I'd say go for the shower only but a typical buyer would be expecting a tub in the main bath.
derf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Renovation Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Bath or no bath?

IMHO, It depends on the proximity of the other bathroom to the living areas. I would place stock in the other posts however this two bath theory is not crucial to all buyers. If the bathroom for the master is dedicated to only the master then I would say that you could safely go either way if much of the bsthing is done in the second bathroom but then again it depends on the individual. Look at it this way, if you had kids, (which you may) where would you probably bathe them? If your answer is in the other bathroom then I would say go with the design that would give you the most stunning results, maybe a steam shower or large walk in glass shower? But if this was going to be a "maybe our bathroom maybe the other" then go with the shower and tub combo.

Design is an endless process and choices are limitless. You can do a very nice design while incorporating both the shower and tub but then again the reality of bath design is that most master suites are eliminating the tubs and going with showers either steam or conventional or going with the design you currently have.

This ultimatly is the choice of you and our designer to figure out. Maybe you are not using a designer but if you are not then maybe you can find a design build company that can render some different possibilities for you. I am guessing that you and your Wife are at total opposite ends of the opinion bar and have come here for some "in the middle" insight? Ultimatly, you need to think about this practically and if you think a future buyer might need the bath shower then go with that if not don't.

Good luck, hope this helps and be safe!
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Nia

Rewards Points: 25

Bath or no bath?

I have customers that request the tub to be removed and install just a shower only. I believe it is a person preference because some do it when they have elderly parents so they can have access with their wheelchairs. Others change it to have more space or they don't like taking baths.

For resell purposes I think you should have a tub and shower. When you are selling you want to try to please the majority and by taking the tub away you will be cutting out a chunk of buyers.
Nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Bath or no bath?

The first thing to think about is your goal of the house. Do you see yourself raising your family there and retiring in this house, or do you plan on selling it in 3-5 years. If don't plan on staying long, I'd keep the tub mainly for the fact that future buyers will most likely have younger children, and tub will help with the sale.

Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, family bathroom, shower