Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Share |

Bath mold

I'm replacing the floor and toilet in a upstairs bath. It has a shower stall and under some old wallpaper I found the drywall crumbling and started to take it out and found some mold.
This bath hasn't been used in years.
My question is how dangerous is this stuff to remove. And what would be the procedure. Probably gonna have to tear out stall walls to see how much needs to be replaced.

Can-o-worms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

Bath mold

Here is a pic
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #3

Bath mold

The correct answer is to call the pros and let them take care of it.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #4

Bath mold

Don't think that gonna happen yet. I spoke to a friend who owns a mold and asbestos abatement business. He said it prob dead and told me solution to use on it as removing and after.

Anyone else?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #5

Bath mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-o-worms View Post
Anyone else?
Are you asking the Forum or your friend?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

Bath mold

Us full time home repair and contractors see this stuff eveytime we work we work on old bathrooms and It's bet 99 % of us would not waste the time and money to call in some so call mold company.
There going to do the same thing we are, wear a dust mask and bag the stuff so the spores do not spread. Not a big deal.
Most of the time in old bathrooms they used reguler drywall behind the tiles or some funky cheap tile board that always fails.
Gut it all the way down to the studs, treat the studs with bleach and water, replace any that are rotted.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (02-08-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #7

Bath mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster

Are you asking the Forum or your friend?

B
Was askin the forum for ideas.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

Bath mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Us full time home repair and contractors see this stuff eveytime we work we work on old bathrooms and It's bet 99 % of us would not waste the time and money to call in some so call mold company.
There going to do the same thing we are, wear a dust mask and bag the stuff so the spores do not spread. Not a big deal.
Most of the time in old bathrooms they used reguler drywall behind the tiles or some funky cheap tile board that always fails.
Gut it all the way down to the studs, treat the studs with bleach and water, replace any that are rotted.
Thank you. They did use regular drywall. And I know that's not correct. I plan on taking the stall out and replacing the drywall with greenboard. And anything else that's rotten. My main concern was if it was a health hazard that's why I contacted my friend too.
I do grounds and building maintenance so am familiar and comfortable doing this kind of work.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Always working

Bath mold

If it's that bad there, chances are it's bad behind the shower stall too. If that was my house, I would try it myself. But I'd wear a cartridge respirator not just a dust mask. And I'd seal the room off from the rest of the house with plastic sheeting and bag the moldy material. Also if there is a window I'd place a fan in it to blow the air outside. Check the subfloor and studs, I would suggest replacing any moldy wood or at least cleaning it before covering it up again. They sell mold cleaners/killers that are better than bleach. Also, green board is old technology, Blue board is better. Anything that is going to be tiled should have hardibacker installed. Don't tile over drywall no matter what type it is.

If you start pulling stuff off and find a severe infestation, it would be best to call a mold remediation company. I know some consider it a racket but there are reputable ones out there. I hired a good one to clear a severe infestation from my masterbath. 2 men, removed a big jacuzzi tub and about 8 sheets of drywall and treated and sealed. Took him about a week and cost $3400 just to give you an idea.
CarlV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #10

Bath mold

It took them a week to do that little bit of work, and got paid $3400.00 boy am I in the wrong business.
We've gutted bathrooms that were paster walls and 12 X 9' Down to the studs incuding the floors in less then two days.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #11

Bath mold

Yeah I plan on takin whole shower and pan out to see what's behind it and the subfloor. I dont think it'll be too bad. I'll seal off doors and bag waste. I plan on spaying it down as i remove it to keep dust down. And spraying ans scrubbing anything good. But theres no window or exhaust fan. Do I need a airfilter of some kind. I plan on installing an exhaust fan before the shower is used regularly.

Last edited by Can-o-worms; 02-08-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #12

Bath mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-o-worms View Post
Yeah I plan on takin whole shower and pan out to see what's behind it and the subfloor. I dont think it'll be too bad. I'll seal off doors and bag waste. I plan on spaying it down as i remove it to keep dust down. And spraying ans scrubbing anything good. But theres no window or exhaust fan. Do I need a airfilter of some kind. I plan on installing an exhaust fan before the shower is used regularly.
you can rent air cleaners from rental places....they do a really nice job and covers you in case any spores do escape the room.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
gravity always wins

Bath mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
you can rent air cleaners from rental places....they do a really nice job and covers you in case any spores do escape the room.
A window fan to the outside will do just as well. Build a duct from plastic sheet to the fan. It's already been exposed and disturbed, so the spore load inside the house is already way above normal. Close off the doors to the rest of the house, wear an N95 respirator with P100 cartidges while you work and get rid of the stuff. Bag the debris inside your work area. Damp wipe the outside of the bags before you take them out through the rest of the house. Use a HEPA vac to clean up.

Funny thing. We tested air scrubbers (traps) from a few places and NONE of them passed for by-pass of particulates, including ones rated for asbestos work.

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 02-11-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote