DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   Bath mold (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/bath-mold-132920/)

Can-o-worms 02-07-2012 01:48 PM

Bath mold
 
I'm replacing the floor and toilet in a upstairs bath. It has a shower stall and under some old wallpaper I found the drywall crumbling and started to take it out and found some mold.
This bath hasn't been used in years.
My question is how dangerous is this stuff to remove. And what would be the procedure. Probably gonna have to tear out stall walls to see how much needs to be replaced.

Can-o-worms 02-07-2012 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic

cibula11 02-07-2012 03:47 PM

The correct answer is to call the pros and let them take care of it.

Can-o-worms 02-07-2012 06:00 PM

Don't think that gonna happen yet. I spoke to a friend who owns a mold and asbestos abatement business. He said it prob dead and told me solution to use on it as removing and after.

Anyone else?

Beepster 02-07-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can-o-worms (Post 847151)
Anyone else?

Are you asking the Forum or your friend?

B

joecaption 02-07-2012 06:31 PM

Us full time home repair and contractors see this stuff eveytime we work we work on old bathrooms and It's bet 99 % of us would not waste the time and money to call in some so call mold company.
There going to do the same thing we are, wear a dust mask and bag the stuff so the spores do not spread. Not a big deal.
Most of the time in old bathrooms they used reguler drywall behind the tiles or some funky cheap tile board that always fails.
Gut it all the way down to the studs, treat the studs with bleach and water, replace any that are rotted.

Can-o-worms 02-07-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beepster

Are you asking the Forum or your friend?

B

Was askin the forum for ideas.

Can-o-worms 02-07-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
Us full time home repair and contractors see this stuff eveytime we work we work on old bathrooms and It's bet 99 % of us would not waste the time and money to call in some so call mold company.
There going to do the same thing we are, wear a dust mask and bag the stuff so the spores do not spread. Not a big deal.
Most of the time in old bathrooms they used reguler drywall behind the tiles or some funky cheap tile board that always fails.
Gut it all the way down to the studs, treat the studs with bleach and water, replace any that are rotted.

Thank you. They did use regular drywall. And I know that's not correct. I plan on taking the stall out and replacing the drywall with greenboard. And anything else that's rotten. My main concern was if it was a health hazard that's why I contacted my friend too.
I do grounds and building maintenance so am familiar and comfortable doing this kind of work.

CarlV 02-08-2012 08:06 AM

If it's that bad there, chances are it's bad behind the shower stall too. If that was my house, I would try it myself. But I'd wear a cartridge respirator not just a dust mask. And I'd seal the room off from the rest of the house with plastic sheeting and bag the moldy material. Also if there is a window I'd place a fan in it to blow the air outside. Check the subfloor and studs, I would suggest replacing any moldy wood or at least cleaning it before covering it up again. They sell mold cleaners/killers that are better than bleach. Also, green board is old technology, Blue board is better. Anything that is going to be tiled should have hardibacker installed. Don't tile over drywall no matter what type it is.

If you start pulling stuff off and find a severe infestation, it would be best to call a mold remediation company. I know some consider it a racket but there are reputable ones out there. I hired a good one to clear a severe infestation from my masterbath. 2 men, removed a big jacuzzi tub and about 8 sheets of drywall and treated and sealed. Took him about a week and cost $3400 just to give you an idea.

joecaption 02-08-2012 08:18 AM

It took them a week to do that little bit of work, and got paid $3400.00 boy am I in the wrong business.
We've gutted bathrooms that were paster walls and 12 X 9' Down to the studs incuding the floors in less then two days.

Can-o-worms 02-08-2012 08:52 AM

Yeah I plan on takin whole shower and pan out to see what's behind it and the subfloor. I dont think it'll be too bad. I'll seal off doors and bag waste. I plan on spaying it down as i remove it to keep dust down. And spraying ans scrubbing anything good. But theres no window or exhaust fan. Do I need a airfilter of some kind. I plan on installing an exhaust fan before the shower is used regularly.

cibula11 02-08-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can-o-worms (Post 847632)
Yeah I plan on takin whole shower and pan out to see what's behind it and the subfloor. I dont think it'll be too bad. I'll seal off doors and bag waste. I plan on spaying it down as i remove it to keep dust down. And spraying ans scrubbing anything good. But theres no window or exhaust fan. Do I need a airfilter of some kind. I plan on installing an exhaust fan before the shower is used regularly.

you can rent air cleaners from rental places....they do a really nice job and covers you in case any spores do escape the room.

Maintenance 6 02-11-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cibula11 (Post 847772)
you can rent air cleaners from rental places....they do a really nice job and covers you in case any spores do escape the room.

A window fan to the outside will do just as well. Build a duct from plastic sheet to the fan. It's already been exposed and disturbed, so the spore load inside the house is already way above normal. Close off the doors to the rest of the house, wear an N95 respirator with P100 cartidges while you work and get rid of the stuff. Bag the debris inside your work area. Damp wipe the outside of the bags before you take them out through the rest of the house. Use a HEPA vac to clean up.

Funny thing. We tested air scrubbers (traps) from a few places and NONE of them passed for by-pass of particulates, including ones rated for asbestos work.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved