Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #1

Share |

basement window enlarging

I am wanting to enlarge a basement window. I have 7-8 inch poured concrete. I need to cut out an additional 7" x 32" area. What would be the best way to go about this?

I have a friend who has done some construction who thought the gas-powered cut-off saw would be a little unwieldy for making the cuts from the outside wall. He suggested just using a diamond blade on a circular saw to make the cut from each side then chiseling the remaining 2-3 inches.

Sounds like too much work for a small section no matter what!

Any thoughts?

djmcdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #2

basement window enlarging

Hi,

A 7 1/4" diamond blade on an electric circular saw would not be the right tool for that job. At best you would only get 2 1/2" deep cuts on either side of the wall. Therefore, as you said, you would be 2" - 3" shy of your goal depending on whether it is a 7" thick or 8" thick wall. At this point you would find out just how strong that 2" - 3" of concrete can be. You will spend a lot of time and energy with a sledge hammer. Then a considerable amount of time with a hammer and cold chisel to clean up the rough edges. All of this sounds like a tremendous amount of sweat equity.

I would suggest a trip to your local tool rental center and see what they have to offer that would get the job done. Explain to them the situation, including the thickness of the foundation. See what options they offer you to rent that would get the job done. A gas powered wet saw, an electric powered wet saw, a gas powered concrete chainsaw, and the Husqvarna gas powered cut-n-break power cutter, are among the some of the possibilities that they might have for you to rent. See what they have and try it out in your hands to see what you might feel comfortable using. Ask the person helping you for their advice.

If all of this too sounds like too much work, then I do have a list of contractors on my site that you could hire to do the work for you.

Good luck to you in you endeavors. Call, or email me, if you would like to talk over any of these possibilities in depth further. I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Jeff

Last edited by Gary in WA; 03-31-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Removed adv. links as per forum rules (belong under sign. line in "User CP"), thanks.
EgressWindows is offline   Reply With Quote