Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Basement Wall Moisture - who to call?

I am planning on finishing my basement soon. But I have an on-going problem with water in one corner of the basement. Tried to solve by extending the down spout (located at the same corner). Next, I removed a shrub that was planted at the corner of the house. Pulled up the landscaping and regraded.

There is window well next to the corner (on a hard rain the well does get a few inches of water standing in it but it does eventually drain).

The foundation is tiled inside and outside the footing.

Its been about two weeks since we've had significant rain. The corner wall is still damp from the outside ground level down to the basement floor. Floor is dry. I can not see the corner or where the wall meets the floor because there is framing in place. (I removed the installation and vapor barrier to monitor the moisture.)

In the past, we have had a pool of water on the floor from this corner. But I cannot see any cracks.
I am looking for suggestions.
Should I ripe out the framing?
Should I attack the problem from the outside?
I am willing to pay money to get the project moving...but I am unsure who to call in. (First person I called wanted to install a tray along the bottom of the wall and direct the water to the drain.) I would prefer to stop the water outside, not redirect on the inside.
Any ideas?

I posted some picture here:
http://www.diychatroom.com/members/r...wall-moisture/

There is crack on the outside block. I dug out the corner and it continues down.

Last edited by RainWaterEyes; 09-01-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Added photos
RainWaterEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Post some photos of the exterior surroundings.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Below Grader

Rewards Points: 75

It sounds like you've done all the right things outside to deal with the runoff. Removed shrubs, extended downspouts.

How is the grading? It should slope away from the house.

I believe all that is left for you to do now is to improve foundation drainage.
That can be done in two ways:
  1. You can have a contractor dig out your foundation and install a new french drain, or drain tile by the footing all around the perimeter of the basement, and tie it to a good sump pump system. That can get very expensive e quite messy if you have fixtures outside, such as porches and decks. The will need to be removed.
  2. You can install an interior drainage system, along the internal perimeter of the basement walls, tied to a good sump pump systems. Internal drainage systems have been used successfully for over 20 years to stop basement leaks, and good systems have the advantage of remaining serviceable for the life of the structure, being fitted with service ports that allow the system to be serviced periodically. Which is why they are usually covered by a lifetime transferable warranty. They also cost about half of what you would pay for typical exterior drainage system.

I understand your basement is finished. Internal perimeter drains are installed by cutting a few inches off the drywall and insulation so that they can access the corner between the walls and floor. If you chose an internal drain tile, ask the contractor about drywall repair options.
CyFree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, grading, moisture, water