Basement Stair Finishing - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Stair Finishing

My basement stairs are against a concrete foundation wall. The issue that I am wondering about is what is the best way to finish that entire wall. The wall will have to be the same as the bottom of the stairs unless there is a way to make this look good. Is there?

What I am doing to the rest of the walls is 1" XPS board and a 2x4 frame, fiberglass and drywall so 5" of the wall total. This can fit on the stairs with them still being 36" but I wanted to know what to do about the space between the 3/4" gap between each step and the wall. The stringer sits below if that helps at all. I didn't know if the XPS could be exposed at the bottom part or if there is an easy solution here?

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...d/IMAG0289.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...d/IMAG0291.jpg

Advertisement

ndmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Basement Stair Finishing

Is that sheetrock glued to the block above the stairs? No. That's where the upper floor starts.
The gap is probably there to slide sheetrock behind the treads, but I've never seen sheetrock in contact with concrete before.
I don't think you can do that.
If you plan on finishing the stairs themselves with carpet or treads, the gap would cover.
If you wanted to, you can tuck a skirtboard behind them (trim) and just paint the wall, running a chairrail where the upper sheetrock stops.
Boy, I'm not sure what to tell you.
Someone else will be along with a better answer maybe.

Advertisement

Last edited by titanoman; 02-05-2012 at 10:56 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Stair Finishing

I thought about the gluing the drywall to the wall but I don't think it will meet code. I am thinking that I will just build the wall 1" off the wall so that it meets snug against the bottom wall and wont worry about the foam board running up the stairs, I think that will work fine and I wont have to worry about any sort of fireblocking or anything like that. There will be a 3/4" gap, is that behind my bottom plate is that okay?

Hope that makes sense and is correct.

This staircase sucks.
ndmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

Basement Stair Finishing

The only codes involved will be there needs to be 5/8 fire code under the staires. The run and rise of the stairs, and the over hang of the treads.
What goes againt the block wall they could care less.
There really should have been a 2 X 4 installed flat againt that block wall so sheetrock and the skirt would fit.
There's going to be some differant opions on this one.
There is no room to insulate and finish this wall off.
One suggestion would be to use several coats of Dri-Loc on the block wall. I use a roofing brush and just slop it on the first coat. The next layers I brush it on and wipe over the wall with a 14" drywall knife.
When done it will almost be smooth, will not leak and can be painted if you want to.
There also would be room enough left to install a skirt board.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Basement Stair Finishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmeier
I thought about the gluing the drywall to the wall but I don't think it will meet code. I am thinking that I will just build the wall 1" off the wall so that it meets snug against the bottom wall and wont worry about the foam board running up the stairs, I think that will work fine and I wont have to worry about any sort of fireblocking or anything like that. There will be a 3/4" gap, is that behind my bottom plate is that okay?

Hope that makes sense and is correct.

This staircase sucks.
Not sure where you mean. What bottom plate? Maybe another picture?
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote