Basement Remodel Help With Ductwork - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Basement Remodel Help with Ductwork

I am looking at finishing out my basement and need help with how close can I get to the ductwork. The bottom of my ductwork is 8ft to the floor and I have a window in the basement where the height is 7'8" from the floor, so I have 4 inches of play if I go all the way to the ductwork. My question is how close can I build something next to the ductwork. I know all building codes are local; however I can not seem to find any codes in regards to this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

buildit45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit45 View Post
I am looking at finishing out my basement and need help with how close can I get to the ductwork. The bottom of my ductwork is 8ft to the floor and I have a window in the basement where the height is 7'8" from the floor, so I have 4 inches of play if I go all the way to the ductwork. My question is how close can I build something next to the ductwork. I know all building codes are local; however I can not seem to find any codes in regards to this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.
There's no distance required. It's not like the wood will burn. You just want it far enough away so the ducts don't touch the framing. You can get it 1/2"-1" away to be sure.
Are the ducts insulated?

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the information. The ductwork is not insulated.
buildit45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit45 View Post
Thanks for the information. The ductwork is not insulated.
It should be.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Seal all joints in the duct work with metal tape or seam seal. Do not use cloth duct tape. I agree that you should insulate the ducts as well.
As far as the distance - it only needs to be far enough away so that the ducts don't hit the new ceiling if they expand and contract in operation.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement , ductwork , soffit