Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Basement insulation Q

I'm in the process of redoing my basement and I've got a couple points I need some clarification on. I've been told it's technically an English basement, because there is only about 3 foot of block underground, and then the rest of the house is on top of that. Currently it is just concrete block, which has been painted/sealed and then had a fiberglass fake brick glued to it. No signs of moisture. I've read a bunch of stuff on constructionscience.com that deals with it and I thin I've got a rough plan but I've still got some details I need hammered out.

My plan was to adhere XPS directly to the wall with construction adhesive. On top of that I'd like to finish off with sheetrock. Can I just glue furring strips onto the XPS and then screw the sheetrock into them? I would be leaving the sheetrock off of the floor an inch or so in case of water, and just cover that gap up with toe molding. Should I leave the insulation off of the floor an inch or so as well? I'd like to not build a full 2x3 stud wall because I already have a little bit of a shelf at the top of the block, and that would make it much larger.

I'm also unsure of what to do on that shelf area. Do I need to put a layer of XPS on that and then sheetrock over that, or can I just put sheetrock on top of that? would I be better off with a material for it that breathes some, like wood?

jweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
What can I find here?

Rewards Points: 0

Basement insulation Q

I was thinking of something similar with my unfinished basement as well but think that the furring strips should probably be fastened to the wall??

It will not hurt the rigid foamboard to be in contact with the floor. But if you want some type of flooring, I've seen it suggested to leave room for it. I've even seen where they've put 1" rigid foamboard on the the floor as well, to be then covered by 5/8" plywood. Insulates the floor with increased floor temperatures.

I'll be following this post myself to see what else is mentioned.

Best of luck and let us know your decisions and/or results.

Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote