Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement flooring

I hope I did not post something that has been asked and answered but i did not see this on a search.

I am remodeling a basement. Currently the foor is a mix of bare concrete, lino or carpet (over concrete). The one room i have done so far I chose carpet as it is a tv room and we wanted the confort and noise reducton of carpet. The other rooms are / will be a bathroom a laundry room a bedroom and a large combo office and gym.

I am looking for advice on the flooring. My wife and I are both on a campaign to eliminate carpet (with a few exceptions as mentione above from the house) for the bathrrom I am most likely to put down the vinyl plank flooring and wondered if anyone had advice on using these including how they hold up, we have cats and dogs. I may do the same for the laundry room. i am looking fior advice on the other rooms as well.

shannahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Basement flooring

May I ask why you want to eliminate carpet from your lives?

For the gym, you can't beat synthetic rubber flooring. It's the only flooring I know of that can stand up to having a barbell dropped on it from height and not be damaged.
http://www.johnsonite.com

In the laundry room, I'd be most inclined to go with a painted concrete floor with traction grit in the paint to provide good traction when the floor is wet. I'd use a polyurethane floor paint, and give it two coats (with the traction grit in the top coat). The reason why is that the laundry room is an ideal habitat for all kinds of bugs since there's plenty of organic matter (cotton fibers, linen fibers, hair, skin cells, dust, etc.) that will collect under the dryer, and there's a source of water from condensation that forms on cold water supply pipes to the washer. So, it's best to keep this area as easy to clean as possible, and that means a floor than can be vaccuumed up easily, and won't be damaged from sliding the washer and dryer across it. The dancing around of an out of balance washer will damage every other flooring I can think of, save perhaps rubber or vinyl composition tiles. Rubber would be a better choice if you can afford the higher cost because VCTile floors need to be properly maintained, and this often isn't practical in a residential setting. Rubber flooring requires no maintenance other than cleaning.

For the bedroom, you want a warm floor, and that means carpet. I wouldn't buy anything EXCEPT a solution dyed nylon carpet or a 100% Olefin carpet. That's because both of these kinds of carpets are solution dyed, which means that the colour does NOT come from dyes on the surface of the carpet pile fibers, but from tiny coloured particles INSIDE the carpet pile fibers. Because of this difference, you can use bleach straight out of the jug on both kinds of these carpets to remove otherwise impossible stains without concern that you'll harm the carpet. That's cuz in a solution dyed carpet, the pigments are encased in plastic and would therefore never come into contact with the bleach.
Nylon is the strongest fiber used to make carpet, so nylon carpets are the longest wearing, especially if you get a carpet with a naturally resiliant pile like a level loop. However, if it's just going to be people walking around down there with stocking or bare feet, an Olefin carpet will last a long long time too, at about half the cost.

Also, if your dog or cat has an "accident" on a solution dyed carpet, you can use a wet/dry vaccuum cleaner to clean the area, then disinfect it with a 10% bleach solution, then recover that dilute bleach, rinse with clean water and recover that rinse water with the wet/dry vaccuum too. You can't shampoo a carpet with a wet/dry vaccuum cleaner, but you can certainly clean small areas of it with one.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-02-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Below Grader

Rewards Points: 75

Basement flooring

There are a lot of things to consider when it come to basement flooring. Basement floors should not be finished and treated as you would any room upstairs.Below grade structures are prone to moisture.
The concrete slab in your basement is porous and moisture from the ground usually seeps in through capillary action.

That means that anything you put over that slab should
1 - not soak up the moisture
2 - allow the slab to breath and dry out.
3 - be 100% inorganic.

For that reason, I would avoid:
- Painting the floor - paints and coatings are usually unable to handle hydrostatic pressure and are know to flake and peel off overtime.
- Using vinyl or rubber flooring applied directly over the concrete. They will trap the moisture behind them and depending on what was used to hold them to the concrete, grow mold underneath.
- applying carpet and the padding directly over concrete.
- most wooden laminates, hardwood floor, cork, bamboo, and wooden sub-floors of any kind, because being organic, they will favor mold growth under moist conditions.

You might want to consider basement specific flooring and sub-flooring solutions that are specifically developed for basements, such as ThermalDry sub-floors for your carpeted areas, and ThermalDry pre-finished tiles or a product called MillCreek for your gym and laundry areas.
They are interlocking solutions, 100% inorganic, 100% waterproof that raise the finished surface from the concrete, allowing the slab to breathe, offering moisture and thermal protection all-in-one. The surface of the tiles is usually 10 degrees warmer than the concrete underneath.
They are extremely durable but if one area or tile ever gets damaged, you can easily replace it (or switch around) without distrbing the remaining pieces.

Here's an article explaining basement flooring solutions and options, you might find useful

Basement Flooring Options

Last edited by CyFree; 02-02-2009 at 11:45 AM.
CyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #4

Basement flooring

Thanks

i should mention that although i do think about water in the basement the house was built in 1978 and there has been no evidence that there has ever been water on the floor (unless we spilled it) the carpet and lino the the previous owner (and builder) put on the floor has easily been there at least since the house was built (based onthe pattern)

all of the concrete that i can see so far is very smooth.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #5

Basement flooring

Thanks CyFree I checked this web page out, I like the product Of course they make no mention of the pricing and prefer to have you contact a dealer after filling out the form i learn that there is not dealer in my area (no surprise there it is typical for this area) they said i can contact customer service but i know where that will go. I will wait for the snowflakes to land on the Devils nose to hear back on that one.

Good advice though.