Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Share |

Basement Floor-Dricore or Delta FL?

Ready to remodel my basement and have a few questions. Any help would be much appreciated. Home was built in the 50ís with a partially below grade basement (approx. ĺ below and ľ above.) I do not think that I have a major water problem but Iím going to wait a few months to begin the work just to be sure. But being a basement, itís a little damp and is some areas, there is a white powder just below grade that Iím assuming is water seepage. As of now, the basement is completed gutted and Iím watching it closely. If all goes well, Iíll start the renovation in early spring. The plan is to use a Dricore or a Delta FL or a Super Seal membrane on the floor (leaning towards the Delta or Super Seal because it seems like it would work better as a moisture/vapor barrier). Also, I read here and there that Dricore has potential to mold due to tha fact that the bottom has exposed particle board edges. Then, now hereís the big question, I wanted to hang a dimpled membrane (Delta FL or Super Seal) from the wall at a height TBD (obviously above grade but if I went a little higher, I can from the wood just below the floor joists. Seems easier to screw into the wood frame than the concrete wall). I would bring that down to the floor leaving an inch or two return on the floor and install the floor on top of the return, taping the seams where the floor meets the wall (and everywhere else). Then I would use some sort of rigid insulation on top of that and then stud on top of that. Does that seem like a good Idea or is it a recipe for disaster because there is no where for the moisture coming thru the walls to go (it will be trapped btw the concrete wall and the membrane barrier. Super Seal advertises that their membrane can be used in interior applications but with a French drain installed. I do not think that Iím getting that much water that would justify the cost or need for a french drain. There are also 2 schools of thought on how to install these products. Completely seal it with spray foam to block any airflow and the other suggests leaving a ľ inch gap where the wall meets the floor to promote airflow. Iíve been looking around and no one seems to be doing what I want to do. One last thing, I will frame out a 5 X 10 boiler room in the corner of the basement that I will not be installing the wall membrane or a floor system to. Is this good or bad? (considering the airflow question). Thanks in advance.

cowbell9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #2

The concrete wall has to dry to the inside, no D, D, or SS on the wall especially below grade: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...lation-systems

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...g-your-basment
Ask your local AHJ on furnace room requirements; outside air source, etc.

Gary

Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #3

thank you very much.

I guess gluing foam panels to the wall is the way to go? Seems that everyone else is doing it. Funny, it seems that thick foam glued to a concrete wall would not let any moisture thru.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #4

You are welcome.

Here are some strategies from bad to best, carefully read it as you need to keep going back and forth (if your memory is bad as mine): http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...study-analysis

Gary
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #5

Hi Gary

I've been doing my homework and reading a lot of the Building Science articles as you suggested. One thing that I'm still uncertain about is how to handle where the insulated wall and my subfloor meet.

Here's what I'm thinking and I would love to get your take on it.

2" XPS on the wall, floor to ceiling, taping the joints (eventhough it's a partial basement-approx. 3/4 underground 1/4 above ground)

traditional 2 x 4 frame (to accomodate for electrical runs thru the studs)

Rigid insullation between the studs and XPS (how tight should it be? I know air flow is an issue)

1/2" green sheetrock on top (leaving approx. 3/4 inch space at bottom)

Delta FL on floor with 4 x 8 T & G on top

carpet on top of that (I know but i have 3 kids under 4 and cannot afford to tile and then do area rugs)

question is do I do Delta FL wall to wall and foam seal it like the mfr reccomends, and XPS and stud over the subfloor? or should I cut the XPS 2" short to leave an air gap? Or bring the XPS to the floor and run the Delta FL subfloor into the XPS? Or should they not touch at all?

Sorry for all of the scenarios. I'm new to these forums and not sure if these direct specific questions are appropriate.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #6

2" XPS on the wall, floor to ceiling, taping the joints (eventhough it's a partial basement-approx. 3/4 underground 1/4 above ground)---- stop at the concrete, use normal after that above.

traditional 2 x 4 frame (to accomodate for electrical runs thru the studs)---- fine, remember to fire-stop at the top and every 10' lineally; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par031.htm

Rigid insullation between the studs and XPS (how tight should it be? I know air flow is an issue)--- right tight.http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/743 Sill sealer under the p.t. bottom plate for an air/thermal/capillary break to the slab, or foamboard.

1/2" green sheetrock on top (leaving approx. 3/4 inch space at bottom)----- I would not use greenboard because is resists the moisture you want to go through regular drywall. Use an 18" rip of concrete backer board on the bottom if worried. 1/2" space is fine, ADA it: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

Delta FL on floor with 4 x 8 T & G on top-- ok.

carpet on top of that (I know but i have 3 kids under 4 and cannot afford to tile and then do area rugs)

question is do I do Delta FL wall to wall and foam seal it like the mfr reccomends, and XPS and stud over the subfloor? or should I cut the XPS 2" short to leave an air gap? Or bring the XPS to the floor and run the Delta FL subfloor into the XPS? Or should they not touch at all?---- follow manufacture. instructions. I'd run the wall first on the sill sealer or f.b. Canned foam under the f.b. on wall, seal the top of concrete at ledge; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ce-insulation/

Gary