Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement dryout/remodel

Hello all, I've been doing a lot of searching and I think I have finally found 1) a great forum and 2) an answer to my problems. Of course, the answers leads to more questions!

Let me try to be short with the background. I'm in the beginning stages of getting my basement ready to be finished. The first thing that needs to be dealt with is the mildew/mold problem. The basement is block wall, with an interior french drain system (that works) and the concrete slab is an inch or two away from the wall. I have a sump hole/pump that collects the water and sends it out doors. During Hurricane Irene where we saw massive amounts of rain fall, my basement did not flood. I get no water leakage through the walls, I have a few spots with efflorescence, and a few more where the block is wet (my guess is water is inside the block and slowly drying out). All in all, the basement is fairly dry, but the humidity level is what is very high - hence the mold/mildew.

I'm thinking that some type of foam panel is my best bet to get rid of the moisture/mildew problem. But considering that my slab does not touch the wall, do I put up the panel so it covers the trough? Or should I set them so they sit just above the trough?

Thank you in advance.

Oldmanskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Basement dryout/remodel

Page 14: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...lation-systems

Gary

Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Basement dryout/remodel

Awesome...thanks for that!
Oldmanskater is offline   Reply With Quote