Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #1

Share |

Basement Concrete Wall Framing Against Stairs

Hi folks,

I've run into a bit of a puzzle as I'm working around my basement completing the insulating and preparing for the start of framing. My basement stairs but up against the poured concrete wall on the right side. The upper section of the stair case has framing that sits on top of the poured wall and was previously drywalled. The lower (concrete) section is unfinished. There is no gap between the stair treads and the concrete wall.

I've been applying 1" rigid foam panels directly to the concrete wall with foam adhesive with success to the rest of the basement. I've now come around to the wall that the stairs run down and have a real dilemma. As I apply the 1" foam panels along the wall I get to the point where it meets the stairs. The plan was to build a traditional wood stud wall up against the 1" foam panels but at the stair well there is no room 'behind' the treads next to the wall to apply the foam panel let alone framing. The stringer on that side of the stairs is about 3-4" away from the wall.

I've considered that it may be possible to cut away a portion of the tread leaving enough space for the 1" foam and possibly a wall constructed of furring strips. Alternatively, another option would be to omit the foam panel completely from this section of foundation wall, trim the treads on the stairs back from the wall and fasten the firring strips directly to the wall. My primary concern with omitting the foam is the lack of vapor barrier/insulation around this section of the wall.

Other concerns are what to do with the existing 'upper' section of stair wall that currently rests on top of the poured foundation wall. Should I rip off the existing drywall and attempt to match it up with whatever the wall solution is with the lower wall (lower wall extended to ceiling) or leave it as is and create a cap along the top of the lower wall solution creating a ledge extending from the floor of the main level to the ceiling of the basement?

Hopefully I described this problem well enough to create a mental picture. If not I can try and take some photos later.

Thanks in advance!

Epicsoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #2

post some pics please.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #3

Where are you located ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #4

I have what appears to be the same issue - will post some pics to keep the thread going, but if it helps I am in Southern NH.
StuTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #5

Hey,

I know this is an old post but I am having the exact same problem. Can I just frame the perimeter wall on top of the staircase?

Thanks,
Jon
Jleipzig8083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #6

Ok, finally getting back to this question as the project is back on with some pics. My issue like the OP is that I would like to do some 1" foam then a stud wall on the outer perimeter, but when I get to the corner with the stairs I worry that all that width (Foam+Stud+drywall) eats up a lot of the width of the staircase making it harder to get stuff down there (furniture). I thought about doing a thinner strapping wall with the 1" foam wall that leaves a gap for a piece of strapping at the seam but worry about the loss in R-value if this side of the basement has almost no insulation. Stairs are 36" across.

One other simple question - best way to cap off the riser on the stairs so it is solid? Just plywood cut flush with the tread?
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Concrete Wall Framing Against Stairs-stairs1.jpg   Basement Concrete Wall Framing Against Stairs-stairs2.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #7

Those steps are suppost to have rizers and the treads need from 1" to 1-1/4 over hang.
If it was mine I would remove the treads and more the stringers over so I could slip the foam, wall board and a skirt in behind the treads.
I would just glue the foam to the concrete and use Tap Con screws to hold the sheetrock up.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #8

Thanks Joe, I am going to check with the building inspector this week to see what I can and can't get away with but that would certainly cut back the needed width to sheetrock that wall.