Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Weekend Warrior

Share |

Basement bedroom framing options

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My wife and I are in the planning stage of our unfinished basement, but we are running into an issue, on what to do with the bedroom closet. We can't decide on 4 separate options. This bedroom has a door to under the stairs storage that could work as a closet, but for resell value I'm pretty sure the small space wouldn't cut it. So I have included a couple options on how a closet could be included. Please give your input on what you like best, or would do even better!

Please note that I can't move the actual door to the bedroom as the wall/hallway has both the circuit breaker box and water manifold box. Due to local code they can't be located within a bedroom.

I've included links to the rather large pictures to help everyone visualize my options, after all, a picture is worth a thousand words!

EDIT: I can't move the bedroom door to the other side due to the issue with the circuit breaker, and limited ceiling space from a heating duct running along the wall (not shown in diagram).

Option A - This option would give the bedroom the most square footage for furniture, and a small closet besides what is under the stairs.

Floor plan A
3D View A

Option B - This option reduces the total square footage, but offers a large walk in closet.

Floor Plan B
3D View B

Option C - This option removes a closet all together and leaves the under the stairs storage as a "closet", but we receive a large walk in storage area for the rest of the house and basement.

Floor Plan C
3D View C
Living Room C

Option D - Open up more square footage for the basement.

Floor Plan D
3D View D - None, room looks the same as it does in C.
Living Room D

Space under stairs.

Last edited by Mesoneer; 01-20-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to include one more detail.
Mesoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #2

There's another option that I think you may like. I don't think the downstairs bedrooms need big closets, so a big walk in isn't necessary, but from the space it looks like the closet space in option a is perfect. But I don't like how it's set so far back into that pocket, sure it's more square footage in the bedroom but that footage wouldn't be very usable.

That being said, I'm suggesting you combine option b and c. Put the closet doors where they are in both sketches, but split that closet in two. You'll have storage on both sides, one for the bedroom and the other side for misc items for the family, winter gear, games, toys, etc.

Dwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dwillems For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-21-2012), mae-ling (01-21-2012), Mesoneer (01-21-2012), rubberhead (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #3

I would say from a quick glance: no closet to the living area. Seasonal stuff to store can go under the stairs. And normal 24" closet in the bedroom. Have the bedroom door flush with the front of the closet doors. Then move the rear-of-the-closet wall forward or backward depending on which space you want to have more room - living room or bedroom.

B
Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster
I would say from a quick glance: no closet to the living area. Seasonal stuff to store can go under the stairs. And normal 24" closet in the bedroom. Have the bedroom door flush with the front of the closet doors. Then move the rear-of-the-closet wall forward or backward depending on which space you want to have more room - living room or bedroom.

B
If I understand his post correctly that hallway wall by the stairs is staying because of the electrical box, so if he moved the back closet wall forward it would put an awkward nook in the living area. It could be utilized as a bar area tho or a nice spot for a built in like cabinets or entertainment center
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillems View Post
There's another option that I think you may like. I don't think the downstairs bedrooms need big closets, so a big walk in isn't necessary, but from the space it looks like the closet space in option a is perfect. But I don't like how it's set so far back into that pocket, sure it's more square footage in the bedroom but that footage wouldn't be very usable.

That being said, I'm suggesting you combine option b and c. Put the closet doors where they are in both sketches, but split that closet in two. You'll have storage on both sides, one for the bedroom and the other side for misc items for the family, winter gear, games, toys, etc.
Thank you Dwillems, we took your suggestion and are going to combine a couple ideas. If anyone is interested I've included a final jpg of what we will be doing.

Thank you again!
Attached Thumbnails
Basement bedroom framing options-final.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mesoneer For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-24-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #6

I think it looks great, have fun renovating.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #7

Check local AHJ, you may need a hallway to the second bedroom , not going through the first one, to meet egress to the front door- excluding the egress window; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...9_3_sec011.htm

Gary
Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Check local AHJ, you may need a hallway to the second bedroom , not going through the first one, to meet egress to the front door- excluding the egress window; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...9_3_sec011.htm

Gary
There is only one bedroom (the room to the right), everything else is open living space. I wish I had room for a second bedroom though.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #9

Thanks, I misunderstood, thought there was to be two bedrooms...

Gary