Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #1

Share |

Basement 2x2 furring strips, basement clutter, top plate not attached to floor joists

Hello All

I recently joined DIY Forum.

I am planning to finish an unfinished basement.

This walkout basement has a lot of ceiling clutter. I am planning to do a drop cealing.

I am planning to frame masonary walls with 2x2 furring strips, insulate them with rigid foram insulation.

Can you place electric receptacles easily in 2x2s and should they protrude beyond the surface of the 2x2?

Like I mentioned I have lot of ceiling clutter in the basement. Can you have the 2x2 top plate not attached to the floor joists but top plate attached directly to the masonary wall? The top plate will not be visible because of the drop cealing. Floor joists are at 8'8" above the ground and I am planning to have the top plate at 8' from ground and drop ceiling at 7' 9" which is the highest I can go.

These might be very amateur questions but please answer them

Suhas

touchsuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #2

Basement 2x2 furring strips, basement clutter, top plate not attached to floor joists

To install suspended "removable tile" ceilings in your basement, might want to surf contents of:
http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na...icle18410.html
http://www.diyonline.com/servlet/GIB...sion.docid=491
http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/artic...ticle_id=60315

Personally, I would drywall around any duck work, I would use vertical boards around any support posts and only use "removable tile" ceiling tile system in a basement.

Hope the above URLs help as well...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
ICF Construction

Shallow electrical boxes are available, just don't try to make a lot of connections in the box, not enough room. Ensure you have some form of seperation between the 2x2 and the block wall before fastening, perhaps just building paper, wood and concrete shall not touch. don't forgot to insulate the piece between the 8' mark and the underside of the floor joists. As well, are the areas between the floorjoists already insulated? If not don't miss that either.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
Shallow electrical boxes are available, just don't try to make a lot of connections in the box, not enough room. Ensure you have some form of seperation between the 2x2 and the block wall before fastening, perhaps just building paper, wood and concrete shall not touch. don't forgot to insulate the piece between the 8' mark and the underside of the floor joists. As well, are the areas between the floorjoists already insulated? If not don't miss that either.
Chris, thank you for the reply.

Today I applied one coat of waterproof paint on the poured cement wall. Will one more coat suffice for something in between 2x2 and concrete wall?
So we need an insulation between the floor joists in the ceiling? If yes then I will have to cut this insulation several places to account for ceiling clutter. Would you suggest what kind of insulation and what R number should I use.
touchsuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Depends on what part of the country you live in. Check out some of the Holmes on Homes episodes, where they re-do basements.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
ICF Construction

No, you don't need to insulate the whole floor, just the area where the joists sit in the concrete wall (at the exterior) usually a R-20 batt with vapour barrier is fine.

Why are you waterproofing the walls? Are they leaking? If so that must be fixed properly BEFORE you start finishing the basement