Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
SDG

Share |

Bar top ideas?

As part of my basement reno, i'm building a bar in my "guy's room".

Since I already blew a large chunk of my budget for this room on a poker table and chairs, I dont think I'll be able to put down granite or quartz on my bar top.

Anyone have any ideas for a nice bar top that wont be too expensive?

Someone told me using hardwood floor on it would be nice
SDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Enormous Member

Bar top ideas?

I had once planned to build a bar and I was going to stick a bunch of beer labels on top and pour that thick countertop resin stuff over the top. I wound up selling the house before I could build it though. I still have a big envelope of labels, though.

Turns out there's a local barbeque place who wound up having the same idea for their bar. lol.

Otherwise, tile is always a pretty reasonable option.

Last edited by skipjack; 10-22-2008 at 10:58 AM.
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #3

Bar top ideas?

Concrete. It can get pretty involved and requires some special cement and aggregate, but for a simple counter it would be less expensive than some of the alternatives. I'd suggest getting a book or video on how to do it before you try. Concrete counters are common in high-end homes now, and look awesome. There's an outfit called Stone Soup Concrete that has some great pictures of their work online, as I recall...Good way to get some ideas.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
SDG

Bar top ideas?

Dont think I would want to try concrete, my diy skills are not that great hehe

I prefer the idea of working with something that I can redo if I mess up. I'm finishing my basement right now and I've used screws for everything except the ramset nails, thankfully none of them had to be moved (triple-checked before ramming them)

I did check that concrete company, very nice stuff.

I might go with the resin idea and put in a poker theme since I have a poker table in the same room.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
the Musigician

Bar top ideas?

i'm the same way, screw it if you can.... never know when you'll need to remove/repair it! i hung the vinyl siding on the trailer part here with screws, knowing i'd remove and reuse it in a year or two. also, i'm doing the same type thing with my countertops. i cut and planed various hardwoods (maple/cherry/oak/walnut, etc.) to 3/4" square strips of various lengths and will mount them to plywood and then cover with epoxy mix. it should look very nice when finished and last way longer than the cheapo countertops they sell at BB stores.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #6

Bar top ideas?

Depending on how large, a stainless steel top might be nice. For less money you can do galvanized sheet metal. You can either turn the edges down yourself(if it is thin enough) or get it done at a fab shop. Or edge band the top to kill out the metal edges. Sometimes a restaurant supply will have something ordered incorrectly or with slight damage that might work for you.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
SDG

Bar top ideas?

hmm, stainless steel... that sounds not too bad. I could do the top and the sink area with it too

I'm going to look into that, thanks for the idea