Bamboo Kitchen Counter Tops - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bamboo kitchen counter tops

I'm about to purchase unfinished bamboo kitchen counter tops and take them to my cabinet maker. He has agreed to finish them and install them. Everything I have read online suggests the best way to finish these is with tung oil. If you have these type counters or have worked with them, what do you think? Have you encountered any significant problems with them? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

Advertisement

oldwomaninthewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Seal all 6 sides. There's a lot of reports from the flooring world about it warping badly when exposed to moisture.

Advertisement

Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I've been specifying QUALITY--not box store or LL crap---bamboo floors for ages now and clients love them. I have certainly encountered no problems and the company I use most offers an amazing near lifetime warranty on the flooring itself and better than most on its finish for them. I think it is another instance of you get what you pay for. Any cheap flooring is going to look and act bad in short order from my experience.

I specified one kitchen where the clients wanted bamboo countertops and it was nice looking. You have to treat it like you would a wood surface so tung oil might be a decent choice. I would call the manufacturer and see what they recommend though. There are some two part oil sealer type products too.

I have a bamboo cutting board that has held up well. It does show knife marks though so I would not do much direct cutting on your new countertops. Of course no countertops are really made to be cutting surfaces. Of course you do not want to set a hot pan---on purpose or accidentally---on a wood or bamboo countertop.

Many of my last clients were bored with granite so some shifted to art or solid glass countertops or something like Vetrazzo which is a nice mix of concrete and old bottles and traffic lenses.

Last edited by user1007; 08-23-2013 at 02:08 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

I don't consider Teragren to be all that cheap or poor quality. However, there is currently a large claim involving them at a local college. Yes, moisture testing was done. It's not been resolved yet, but it's far from the only claim that I am aware of.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Oak View Post
I don't consider Teragren to be all that cheap or poor quality. However, there is currently a large claim involving them at a local college. Yes, moisture testing was done. It's not been resolved yet, but it's far from the only claim that I am aware of.
I do not know the Teragren brand. I specified Duro-Design bamboo in both plank and engineered form and have never had any problems. Clients and installers like it. As mentioned, the warranties are very long for both the materials and the finish---25 structural and 5 on the finish (renewable). Comes from the factory with six coats of poly and as I remember they recommend one more with the clear coat they use after install.

http://www.duro-design.com/

Hard to say what went wrong in the college situation. It could be the material, finish, or something was not done correctly in the install. And I am not saying I have not heard of claims against bamboo flooring but those I know of have been related to lower end problems and often engineered floating varieties, adhesive issues related to some brands of strand bamboo, bamboo surface laminates (and not solid bamboo), and lower end. Or there turned out to be a problem with the install not being done to specifications.

I don't think such claims are any more widespread than for other wood or laminate products of similar quality. I certainly do not hear as many rumblings about bamboo as I do absolutely hideous laminate flooring---which I have never used.

Last edited by user1007; 08-24-2013 at 08:06 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote