Backsplash Tile - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 586

Backsplash Tile

I am starting my backsplash and don't know if there is a specific spot to begin. The layout is like an "L" . One end is open and the other ends at a wall. Should I start on the open end and make cuts in the corner?

Also on one end it is 1/8"-1/4" shorter than the other. Should I just run the tiles along the edge of the counters and have a gap towards the underneath side of the cabinets?

Advertisement

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Backsplash Tile

What I do is start at each outer part of the "L". Layout your pattern ahead of time to see what kind of cut you'll end up with in the adjoining corner. Most of the time, I get lucky. However, if you end up with a sliver of a cut, I'd change something. If you have a window to go around, you can sometimes adjust the spacing under the window to try and change what you end up with in the corner.

Here's a splash I just did 2 weeks ago. I started with full tiles on the sink wall to the left. I adjusted spacing under the window and even added a small decorative tile dead-center of the sink to change what ended up in the corner. However, because of the cooktop, I started that wall with a full tile dead-center over the cooktop. The last row next to the frig was acceptable as was what ended up in the corner. In that case, you are stuck with what your spacing gives you. Centering the cooktop over-rides everything else!
As for the first row, unless you are 100% sure the counters are level, you don't follow them! In this case, I installed the cabinets so I knew they were 100% level and I just started my first row 1/8" up. If I'm doing just a splash, I use my trusty laser level and find any high points on the counter. I then use that as my starting level....even if my counter/tile spacing isn't even. This is especially important if you have a horizontal design. The eye will forgive an uneven seam between 2 different materials on 2 different planes. It will completely pick up a non level horizontal tile joint!
Finally, whatever your gap is between the top row of tile and the bottom of the cabinets is what it is. I try to cut tile to whatever the gap is so I may have a few tiles cut evenly or I may have a few diagonal cuts too. I caulk around all edges of where ever the tile ends and in the "L" corner. You don't want to grout there, just caulk.

Hope that helps
Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #3

Backsplash Tile

sorry for the bump, Angus, very nice job there, question I have is how do you go about making the wall recepticals flush with the tile, I have two existing ones and I want to add a back splash.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Backsplash Tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
sorry for the bump, Angus, very nice job there, question I have is how do you go about making the wall recepticals flush with the tile, I have two existing ones and I want to add a back splash.
There was a different thread where I explained what I think you're asking about:
Backsplash tile - spacing electric boxes

hope that helps
Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #5

Backsplash Tile

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate the info, hadn't found it earlier with a search.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote