DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Back Splash Tile Over Old Sheet Rock?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bjbatlanta 
#1 ·
Happy New Year DIY Family,
I'm remodeling our 1955 cape's kitchen. We just had granite counter tops installed and I am going to install a tile back splash(for the first time in my diy career)with 3/4-1" sheet tiles. Previously there was a thin sheet 1/8" of laminate covering the sheet rock attached by glue as the back splash. When I removed the laminate it began to pull the first layer of paper off the sheet rock.
My question is: do I tile directly over the old sheet rock?
or do I put up a thin peice of ply wood over the sheet rock and then adhere the tile to the plywood?
I have 5 electical outlets already set at 3/4" - 1" out
Open to any and all suggestions and thank you in advance!

#4 ·
You can put the backerboard over the drywall. Tile backsplash is often placed directly on the drywall, because there's not much chance of a lot of water getting through to cause damage. You will need a fairly flat surface though. If the face paper on the drywall has been compromised by removing the old laminate backsplash, it may be easier to add the backer rather than try to smooth out the drywall....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.