Attic Insulation Advice - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Attic insulation advice

Here's my situation...I just bought my first home about a year ago in Southern Indiana. I went into it knowing it would be a fixer-upper, just not quite this much...but I blame the inspector for that, lol.

I just got up into my attic for the first time a month or two ago and found that I have....wait for it....ZERO insulation (inspector failed to mention that). The ceiling of the room below is drywall on 10" (I believe) center. The roof is corrugated steel over top of what looks like planks and tar/asphalt. The soffits have no insulation, neither does any of the attic. There's currently no vapor barrier between the attic and the drywall ceiling.

Any suggestions on the best way to insulate this attic?

Advertisement

syogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Attic insulation advice

If you have space to get a roll of insualtion, or batts, into the attic between joists, use faced(vapor barrier) 12" insulation. Face goes to the heated side. Otherwise blow in insulation, min 12". Do not cover soffit vents

You could also do a layer of 6" faced insulation, and another layer of unfaced perpendicular to the first. This does a good job of covering any gaps.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Attic insulation advice

Sorry, I made a typo...instead of "The soffits have no insulation, neither does any of the attic." I should have said, "The soffits have no ventilation, neither does any of the attic."

Does this change your advice at all?
syogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 512

Attic insulation advice

I would still insulate, but plan on getting your soffits ventilated, in addition to a ridge vent if that's practical. I don't know if the fact that it's corrugated steel makes a difference in that regard.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,052

Attic insulation advice

If zip starts 477... R-38 in attic. http://www.ornl.gov/cgi-bin/cgiwrap?...le/ins_fact.pl

Do you have any HVAC units or ducts in attic? May want an un-vented attic if local B.D. allows.... http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...r-all-climates

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...006_par003.htm

If you have to use f.g batt, don’t get pinked.

Gary