Attempting Some Minor Mold Remediation...NEED HELP - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 238
Rewards Points: 152

Attempting some minor mold remediation...NEED HELP

i have a project that i am tackling and have some questions about removing mold from a water damaged wall on a townhouse. Can i use a bleach solution to kill the existing mold and have good results? I have a daughter on the way in october and im afraid if i dont do it right, the mold could stick around and cause her(and myself) health problems. The water came in through a window sill on the second story. Because of the humidity, i'm assuming, the mold traveled throughout the house and became visible on the wood cabinets downstairs in the kitchen. ALL THIS HAPPENED WHILE THE PROPERTY WAS UN-INHABITED.

If i remove all the water damaged wood/insulation/sheetrock, bleach all the areas multiple times and dry with a jet fan for a few days, will this suffice?


TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,448
Rewards Points: 14,026

If it's so bad it's spread from the second floor to the first I'd contact a real pro on this one.
I also would not be working in there without a mask on.


joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 238
Rewards Points: 152

Well It would have spread easily with the average heat and humidity extremely high in my area and being inside a sealed dwelling. After extensive research, i have a good plan to safely get this project under wraps. I even ordered a professional mold test kit.

Attached are the pictures of the water damage that caused all this in the first place. Also, you can see the green mold on the cabinets.

The siding you can see has detached from the water damage. That area is the other side of the picture of the inside damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Attempting some minor mold remediation...NEED HELP-wp_000041.jpg   Attempting some minor mold remediation...NEED HELP-wp_000047.jpg   Attempting some minor mold remediation...NEED HELP-wp_000027.jpg  
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 148
Rewards Points: 75

Extensive mold like you have shown often has spread throughout the entire house. The professional mold tester is the right way to find out where else the mold exists - often it is behind the drywall.

Number one is to repair the damaged area that allowed the water to enter the home

Number two is to test it with the mold tester

Number three is to make all necessary repairs - including rooms that you did not think were affected but the mold tester has identified as positive.

Good luck, I hope you don't have to replace a lot more than you bargained for.

KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012

You don't need a mold tester. It is obvious you have mold. And extensively at that. You need someone to tear out everything that has been affected and replace it. Most of this is too far gone to salvage. The cabinetry and any framing that is still solid needs to be scrubbed, dried, treated with a fungicide and then sealed. Whomever does the tear out needs to go at least 12" beyond the last visible sign of mold. Before they start, they should build some plastic containment to keep any airborne debris from spreading through the rest of the house and run an exhaust fan directly to the outside. This is a job large enough that I wouldn't even recommend it as a DIY project.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 683
Rewards Points: 512

i'd seek professional help. if you have more then 100sqft of mold you can make a claim with your insurance company. if you try and tackle it yourself there's this product here that works great and is safe with no harmful chemicals
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
Jack of all Trades
lifestooshort81's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: [northern] New Jersey
Posts: 84
Rewards Points: 77

If you want to remedy this yourself there's a product on the market called Microban. One of my customers had her home riddled with black mold because of a failing sump-pump. Microban is the same stuff you see on products. They infuse it into plastics to prevent mold growth.
The extent of the mold put this poor woman in the hospital with breathing problems. there is still
Mold that can not be accessed without tearing down the house but 99% of it is gone.

You'll have to google Microban as they don't sell it in the box stores nor have I seen it in any retail store for that matter.

I would definitely get a pro in but in the meantime Microban the stuff and knock it dead!


lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mold spore counts and mold remediation Peter Cumming General DIY Discussions 4 03-30-2012 06:26 AM
attempting to add a three way switch leikolee Electrical 13 11-11-2011 01:40 PM
Crawlspace Foundation Remediation - Permit Pitfalls? Thunder Chicken General DIY Discussions 1 08-06-2011 08:55 PM
I'm attempting to become a DIY'er unclenanoose Introductions 4 06-11-2010 06:27 PM
Flooded basement and Mold Remediation? Lightyear General DIY Discussions 34 04-25-2007 07:09 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1