Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Attaching a mailbox to wrought iron railing

I'm a new homeowner and a beginner at home repair, so my questions are rather basic and probably silly.

My old mailbox is attached to a wooden bar that runs between two wrought iron posts. I recently bought a new locking mailbox that is wider. The mounting holes in the back of the new mailbox line up neatly with the two iron posts, so - while they are too far apart to be attached to the existing, old wooden bar - their dimensions are perfect for mountain on the two iron posts directly.

Can anyone suggest how best to mount the new mailbox? It seems to me the two options are (1) drill into the iron posts (any recommendation for tools for this?) and (2) attach something (e.g., wood blocks) to the iron posts to which I can insert fasteners to attach the mailbox (but how to attach it securely?).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

bluecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

A picture would sure help---I would be better to install this without damaging the iron work with holes if possible.

Could you use two holes, in the mail box , fir each iron spindle--then a metal binding plate--?

Screws through the binding plate---around the spindle--then into the mail box---like a clamp--

Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Another thought----there are beam clamps---used by electricians and millwrights that would clamp to the iron work and allow you to thread a screw from the box into one of the threaded openings in the clamp--

Look in the electrical section of the big box stores--in the Uni-Strut display--

Google Image Result for http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/285027738/Universal_beam_clamp_attaching_hanger_rod_to.jpg