Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
DIYer

Share |
Question

Assistance Needed - Eliminating An Exterior Door

I am helping the mother-in-law to refurbish the front porch of a 1930s single family house in slower lower Delaware. The house has at least six additions and it is about five times larger than the original house. It has many problems that we'll discuss later...

Between one of the additions (a laundry room) and the front porch (complete with windows, not a screen porch) is an entry door. I say "entry" door because it goes outside, but it's really a hollow core, interior door. The front porch is more of a sunroom, I guess, since it has full windows vs just screens. We'll be insulating the walls and floor of this porch and providing a better place for the cats year round.

This door needs to go. It is never opened and by closing the wall off, it creates a great place for a closet in the laundry room which is sorely needed. I plan to remove the door and replace it with a respectable exterior wall including (inside to out):
1. Drywall (thickness to match rest of wall)
2. Wood studs to match the rest of the wall
3. Insulation to fill the space
Is any vapor barrier other than what's on the insulation needed???
4. OSB exterior siding
5. Wood siding to match front exterior of house. I think it might be wainscoting here since we are inside the porch-Is that a problem?

I've done all of this before on an interior wall and had it permitted so I'm comfortable with the project. I just want to make sure the exterior moisture issue is handled properly (even though the rest of the house isn't sealed for ....).

Thanks in advance!

mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #2

Some issues you may well run into because the house is old are:
(these are just guesses because we have no pictures, and were not there to see it)
It may well be balloon wall construction, so there's not going to be a bottom plate. The threshold could very well be sitting right on top of the floor joist.
The old and new 2 X's are going to be different thickness, (just add some lattes strips to shim it out)
There may not be any sheathing under the old lap siding. Which will make it interesting to get it to blend in.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
DIYer

Thanks for the input. I don't have a picture showing the area.
There is no threshold under the door. Just some raggedy old carpet and then the subflooring which is plywood.
mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote