Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 147

Asbestos Test Kits?

Anyone have any experience with asbestos test kits? I want to test my attic insulation and am considering this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/SLGI-Certified-Test-Kits-Asbestos/dp/B008J3ZK8M/[/ame]

marcus118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Dark Knight

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to Streeter1981

Asbestos Test Kits?

Our home inspector did ours for about $80 I think, and it took a couple weeks to get back. Not sure about this test though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Streeter1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Asbestos Test Kits?

What makes you think that your attic insulation has Asbestos marcus118.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,112

Asbestos Test Kits?

does the attic have vermiculite insulation? it typically has asbestos in it

ive never heard of home inspectors doing the test, it has to go to a lab for testing,, your inspector probably just took a sample and sent it off somewhere

Last edited by woodworkbykirk; 04-04-2014 at 07:39 PM.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #5

Asbestos Test Kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
What makes you think that your attic insulation has Asbestos marcus118.
well i dont really think there is asbestos but would rather be safe than sorry. i'm replacing all the insulation since it's down to 2" thick.

i'm not leaving the old stuff there because the former owners have roof issues, and a lot of the insulation has seen water at one time.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #6

Asbestos Test Kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
does the attic have vermiculite insulation? it typically has asbestos in it
No. This stuff is from like 1960 when the house was built.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Asbestos Test Kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus118 View Post
No. This stuff is from like 1960 when the house was built.
Post a picture of the insulation up in the attic. Vermiculite comes in different forms. It is used in potting soil, but does not contain Asbestos.

Call a couple local places that do testing for Lead, Asbestos, etc. They will take samples of the materials, scrape a little paint to get to the base wall material, then give you a report after about a week.

Everyone automatically assumes that their home or business contains Lead based materials, same for Asbestos, without really the knowledge of what to look for.

I was lucky that when I worked out at our local airport. We had a company that did Asbestos testing. Just talking to one of the lab techs for the company. I found out that our house really only had a danger of Lead based paint under the couple of coats of Latex & Oil based paints, that have been applied to the walls & garage.

I knew that our heating duct work had asbestos tape on it. I just took the proper precautions, to not inhale, or touch my face while taking the tape off.

As for your attic, you should wear a face mask up there anytime, due to the dust accumulation, along with any pollen, mold spores that are free in the air.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Asbestos Test Kits?

Vermiculite was mined in the contaminated Libby mine tough 1990 IIRC. If your house is from 1960, it very well could have vermiculite. Its very distinctive, just look at google images and you'll be able to tell if you have vermiculite. The EPA suggests that if you have vermiculite it isn't even worth testing because you can pretty much be assured that it contains asbestos.

That said, lots of products contain asbestos, but I've never heard of other loose fill insulation having it.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Asbestos Test Kits?

Vermiculite is one of those materials that is listed as PACM........... Presumed Asbestos Containing Material. It's assumed it will contain asbestos until tested and proven otherwise.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (04-10-2014)