Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
Green Hat

Share |

Area for the wife........

Gents, the wife has been on me for sometime in regards to creating an "area" for her to store arts and crafts/scrap booking/sewing. She uses it rarely as we are still young. With that being said, it would be nice to have an area that is dedicated for those items. Currently, she has it all in the guest room (which drives me nuts).

I have about a 5' x 10' space to work with downstairs in the almost finished basement. I was going to use it for a mud room, however I think that it may be better served as an area for he to use all of that stuff, and store it..............neatly!

Maybe some cabinets on both sides with a seat area (similar to a built in desk)? Then throw a counter top on the cabinets?

Just spit balling. Thanks in advance!

Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
DIY staff

Draw up a sketch of the space---is the door on the 10 foot wall or the 5?

Any pictures of the cabinets that you think might work?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #3

Just a thought but why not ask your wife how she wants it.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Green Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
Just a thought but why not ask your wife how she wants it.
Trust me, I have.......She would personally be fine with having a plastic folding table and a bunch of rubbermaid bins underneath it. But then, once she starts working on something......it would turn into an explosion that will take months to clean up.........

So, thats why im leaning towards building something specifically around what she is going to use it for.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
JOATMON

One piece of advice......give it walls....without walls, 'it spreads'....soon it's taking up 'your space'.....so if you don't contain the carnage, the carnage will over run you. AMHIK

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
One piece of advice......give it walls....without walls, 'it spreads'....soon it's taking up 'your space'.....so if you don't contain the carnage, the carnage will over run you. AMHIK
Good point
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Green Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
Good point
Exactly my current problem with all of that stuff being in the guest bedroom. Since it is one large space.......it spills all over the room. That room in turn is a massive explosion of gift wrapping, sewing, scrap booking, and picture printing.

Looking for some clever cabinet ideas that may have been done in the past for a crafting area. Potentially a place where this can all be done from, using basic white cabinets and what not in order to contain the potential mess.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills314 View Post
Exactly my current problem with all of that stuff being in the guest bedroom. Since it is one large space.......it spills all over the room. That room in turn is a massive explosion of gift wrapping, sewing, scrap booking, and picture printing.

Looking for some clever cabinet ideas that may have been done in the past for a crafting area. Potentially a place where this can all be done from, using basic white cabinets and what not in order to contain the potential mess.
Build her a garage.....that is what I did....2-story....she is up there....I'm on the ground floor.....and I still have a lot of her crap in my area.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 04-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #9

Take it from me, figure out what space you think she'll need and then multiply it by ten. My wife is an artist and art teacher. We have a 12x30 Amish shed that I made into a studio for her, complete with power, lights, heat, air conditioning, a kiln, and even a small wood stove. I recently had to put an addition on it to house one of the two pottery wheels she bought. Between her personal projects and those for school, there's almost too much stuff in the thing for her to work. And of course, all of it is too important to get rid of.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Green Hat

I hear you on that........

She has been good about getting rid of a lot of junk and what not, I think overall the biggest thing is just that everything needs to have a "place". That seems to be the only way that things stay neat and orderly in my house.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills314 View Post
I hear you on that........

She has been good about getting rid of a lot of junk and what not, I think overall the biggest thing is just that everything needs to have a "place". That seems to be the only way that things stay neat and orderly in my house.
Does your wife give lessons? One of my wife's problems is that she never gets rid of ANYTHING. Upstairs in our tv room bookcase are a bunch of VHS surveillance tapes from a bank where she used to work 15 years ago. Even if she wanted to watch them, we have nothing to play them on. I know if I were to throw them out, I'd just as well throw myself out with them. But after 28 years, I've learned to live with it. As long as I have enough space somewhere for my reloading equipment, I'm cool.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #12

I like to do scrapbooking myself, and i think the best way you could do it would be to put some cabinets along the walls, put a countertop on top of them, then put either some open sheves with hanging baskets, or some upper cabinets with inside dividers. Also a good idea to have a removable wooden dowel for her to store spools of ribbon on. You want it organized, this is the best way to do it. Also, make sure to put a shredder or a large trash can in there, paper leftovers will get everywhere otherwise. Good luck!
There is a thread in the Project Showcase, search for "craft room" and see how she did hers. It might give you a starting place.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
I like to do scrapbooking myself, and i think the best way you could do it would be to put some cabinets along the walls, put a countertop on top of them, then put either some open sheves with hanging baskets, or some upper cabinets with inside dividers. Also a good idea to have a removable wooden dowel for her to store spools of ribbon on. You want it organized, this is the best way to do it. Also, make sure to put a shredder or a large trash can in there, paper leftovers will get everywhere otherwise. Good luck!
There is a thread in the Project Showcase, search for "craft room" and see how she did hers. It might give you a starting place.
Ok....hand in your man card......

but you can redeem yourself by showing us your collection of tools....and I don't mean scissors.........

Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #14

Ddawg... i never had a man card, im a woman.
I do have a tool set though, they're Ryobi cordless. Awesome tools.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #15

OP, i found the links for you. Good luck!

My scrapbooking room

My New Crafts Room