DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   Applying rigid insulation (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/applying-rigid-insulation-17769/)

Frank63 02-27-2008 09:35 PM

Applying rigid insulation
 
I am starting my rigid insulation for hardieplank. I am going to picture frame my windows & doors with 1x4 Azeck. Should I run my insulation right to the edge of the window before I install the Azeck, or frame out the window & butt up the insulation to the Azeck.

Also should I run my corners down to the foundation & butt my Watertable up to it, or first run my watertable & install the corners on top of the watertable.

Of course this is all after I install the fellt paper.

Thanks Frank

AtlanticWBConst. 02-27-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank63 (Post 102552)
I am starting my rigid insulation for hardieplank. I am going to picture frame my windows & doors with 1x4 Azeck.

First off, I am going to assume that you have/will do all your homework, measurements, and planning, to ensure that the siding and the trim work are all going to meet up appropriately on their surface depths.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank63 (Post 102552)
Should I run my insulation right to the edge of the window before I install the Azeck, or frame out the window & butt up the insulation to the Azeck.

Assuming that all material depths are proper, the insulation should butt up to the Azek. That means that all Azek trim boards, including the window and door casings, are installed first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank63 (Post 102552)
Also should I run my corners down to the foundation & butt my Watertable up to it, or first run my watertable & install the corners on top of the watertable.

The corner boards are run down vertically to the foundation. Then the water-table boards butt to their sides. Make sure that you still use drip cap flashing over exposed horizontal trim, including the water table boards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank63 (Post 102552)
Of course this is all after I install the fellt paper.

Use some brand of house wrap, not roofing felt, or tar paper.
House wrap allows the sublayers to breath, but at the same time, keeps moisture out.

Are you planning on using PVC sealant/glue/caulk for the Azek? If not, you should.

Have you done all your research on installing PVC/composite materials? If not, please do.

Good Luck on your project.

Frank63 02-28-2008 07:15 AM

Thanks Atlantic. I did do some research. And I am planing to use sealant & caulk. JamesHardie.com has a very good installation guide.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved