Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Any experiences with wood drop ceilings?

I am in the planning stages of a basement finishing and am stumped on what type of ceiling that I would want to install. I hate the looks of traditional drop ceilings, but don't like boxing the ceiling up with drywall.

I think the best solution, and an elegant one at that I think, would be to build tray ceilings in each room, with the lower perimeter sections drywalled in, and the majority/raised part of the ceiling covered by a wood drop down system.

These systems seem to consist of a traditional metal frame with wood moulding clipped on, and then finished with wood tiles dropped in. I like the look, but wonder about the extra weight of the wood on the frame and quality of the available brands.

Anyone have experiences with these?

kipling79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Might look at the drywall options here. I have specified the EZ tray system and drywaller seemed to like it.

http://www.trim-texestore.com/

I would worry a wood ceiling in a basement could close you in. However, if you search for decorative ceiling panels you will find wood/woodlike options for standard drop ceiings. Wood Trak is a company that advertises here. I have not used their projects.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I love the look of a wood ceiling. My $40 (300 sq. ft.) Homemade Birch/Walnut Ceiling
Isn't it required to still have drywall up there first? Fire safety and all? If so, I'm sure the guys here will let us know.

DM