Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #1

Share |

Another Fine Mess

For the longest time, I've had a cracked floor tile near the corner of my upstairs bath. I decided to replace it. I knew that I had a problem when I drilled through the center of the tile and my drill bit dropped 3/4". I pulled up the tile and found rot. I also found the subfloor to be damp. I guessed, correctly, that water was coming down to the floor from the horizontal seam that you see above the missing tile. Essentially, what was happening was that water was following the seam and then coming down to the subflooring under the tiles. The picture tells it all.

The tiles above the horizontal seam seem to be good. The sub flooring that you can see is rotted.

My problems:

I'm at a loss as to how to stop the seam from leaking. My experience has been that any caulked joint that is continously wet will eventually fail. That means that if I caulk the seam and then close up the area, the water will eventually cause the same problem.

Is it possible to repair the flooring without tearing out the tub?

Is it time for the professionals?
Attached Thumbnails
Another Fine Mess-dscn0123.jpg   Another Fine Mess-dscn0122.jpg  

dwlodyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Another Fine Mess

For lack of better words, "that sucks".

I have no idea what you're capable of so I guess my suggestion would be to get an estimate to 2 (or 3). That will take a lot of tear out to remove all of the rot. Yes, the tub will most likely need to come out to fix the affected areas. You could always start tearing things out yourself until you see no more rot. If it becomes too much to handle, let a pro take over.

Check your home owners insurance for coverage of this situation.

This is just one more example of why I say ALL BATHROOMS NEED TO BE WATERPROOFED!!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Another Fine Mess

Whoa! you must have broken into my house and taken a photo of my bathroom.

I especially winced when you wrote about the drill bit falling - Been there. I don't have any useful advice because I'm not doing jack about my identical problem until I can tear the Bathroom out in the spring.

Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Another Fine Mess

Look below all the tile. Nothing but wood. No cement board, no Ditra, no waterproofing! So since everything you have is installed incorrectly, why would you even consider patching it? This needs to be completely gutted and done right.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Home Improvment Contactor

Another Fine Mess

Right on BOB!
Patching would be a waste of time and money.
Do check on your home owners insurance. If it isn't covered look for a home buyers insurance. An additional insurance that covers plumbing fixtures, refrigerators, windows, ect. Everything above the foundation. I think they're around $1000/year plus a co-payment for each repairman that comes out. I don't believe there's an inspection. Although you will want to wait awhile before filing a claim. Know what they cover before you file also. Then you won't have to pay the copay for something they don't cover. http://homewarranty.firstam.com/SBec...eProvider.aspx
Jack of most is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Joel

Another Fine Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlodyka View Post
My experience has been that any caulked joint that is continously wet will eventually fail.
I'm not sure I agree with you on this statement. Aquariums have silicone joints and can last forever. Why wouldn't you consider silicone?
jweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #7

Another Fine Mess

by anychance is this area accessible from below? you could see how rotted the plywood is from underneath before yanking the tub.
Put some fans on that area and get it dried up. Good luck
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #8

Another Fine Mess

An update:

It's been several days since I opened up the area and it's drying out. The damage is not as bad as I originally thought. For one thing, I'm not dealing with a weight bearing wall. Also, the rot seems to be imited to only the first inch of the "footer". Also, the boards under the underlayment still have some strength. I'm going to let it dry out for a while and make an assessment. It may be that I can build the area back up, after removing the rot, stabilizing the wood, using some wood filler, etc. I'll keep you posted.

Dennis

dwlodyka is offline   Reply With Quote