Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Another basement framing thread

First of all - thanks ever so much for this forum. I've been a lurker at times and have never failed to benefit from the advice I've found here.

I'm framing up half of a basement and need to know how I need to tie in my partition walls to the ceiling joists.

Background - This is in NC. The basement (cellar really - no windows) is comparatively dry, has a concrete floor and block walls. The joists are a bit over nine feet up, but there are numerous mechanicals below that, so I'm looking at some form of drop ceiling.

Question - Roughly half of the framing is already done with 8'3" stud walls. That's above the level for the drop ceiling, but does code have specific requirements for the framing between the top plate and the joists above? My preference would be to add a second overlapping top plate and then just a number small elements to just tie it in to the joists above for stability... but I now wonder whether I need something more and whether the double top plate provides adequate fire blocking and what good any insulation does if it doesn't go all the way up.

Would it make a difference if I elect to frame up the ceiling for drywall?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by fbaggins; 06-30-2010 at 12:55 PM.
fbaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Hmmm... I received an email saying that there had been a reply, but now I don't see anything. Did I do something wrong?

fbaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

No, probably just a spammer who's post was deleted
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

1. "The basement (cellar really - no windows) is comparatively dry, has a concrete floor and block walls." ------- You need to tape a 2'x2' piece of plastic down on the floor to see if moisture is present. This will help you decide on the floor framing and covering materials. Leave it for a few days. Tell us the results.

2. "The joists are a bit over nine feet up, but there are numerous mechanicals below that, so I'm looking at some form of drop ceiling." ----- drop ceilings need fire-blocking or draft-stopping, page 4: http://www.codecheck.com/cc/images/CC5thEdSample.pdf

3. "I'm framing up half of a basement" ------ If habitable space, you need an egress door or window (escape): http://www.aacounty.org/IP/Resources...ementGuide.pdf

4. "Would it make a difference if I elect to frame up the ceiling for drywall?" ----- Framing this wall for what purpose? Why the wall?

Be safe, Gary