Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

Another basement

Hi my name is Steve and this is my first post.

I am getting ready to start a unfinished basement remodel and had a question.

House is 20+ years old and has water treated Cinder block walls on the outside below grade and inside as well. I have also had a company come out within the last year to make sure there was no heaving on my walls. There will need to be a drop ceiling to replace the one that used to be there and due to duct work etc... I live in Atlanta Georgia.

My plan is to attach 2x4's to the cinder block walls using Tapcon screws with the 4" part of 2x4 against the wall(flat) 16" O.C to save space and then using Pink Rigid insulation between the 2x4s attached directly to the block walls with some sort of adhesive. I will use 1/4" beaded paneling for walls.

Questions:
1) Is this an acceptable way to build a wall?
2)How do I determine how thick my insulation should be?
3) What is a good adhesive to use

Thanks for any advice

steve
swalke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #2

Another basement

Check with your local authorities. You might need drywall covering the foam to get the required burn through time. They will also know what R value insulation you should use.

No point using 2x4s, you could use 2x2s or you could use the foam board that is grooved out for 1x3 furring strips.

Or you could just build a "normal" 2x4 wall. Some folks would get tired of putting in all those tapcons and would find it easier to nail up a wall.

Be aware that you will need enough wall thickness for electrical boxes.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #3

Another basement

Ill check on that burn time.

I actually found a box that is made for that voltage and that is narrow enough for a 2x4 on flat.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #4

Another basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalke2 View Post
I actually found a box that is made for that voltage and that is narrow enough for a 2x4 on flat.

Thanks!
What's it's wire fill capacity? Some of the dinky boxes can only handle a terminal end (one romex in and none out) and don't have enough capacity to put in the middle of a run (1 romex in and one out).
Old 12-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #5

Another basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
What's it's wire fill capacity? Some of the dinky boxes can only handle a terminal end (one romex in and none out) and don't have enough capacity to put in the middle of a run (1 romex in and one out).
Looks to be enough for one in, maybe "middle of a run" but my intention is to put a Junction box in the ceiling for each wall and then run a drop from the junction box to the outlet box (probaby 2 per wall).
Old 12-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #6

Another basement

Quote:
Looks to be enough for one in, maybe "middle of a run" but my intention is to put a Junction box in the ceiling for each wall and then run a drop from the junction box to the outlet box (probaby 2 per wall).
The box will have a fill limit based upon it's volume.

All those junction boxes in the ceiling (which must remain forevermore accessible) sound like a real pain and will be an obvious diy job. Doing it right with the correct wall boxes is easier, better, cheaper and faster.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #7

Another basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
The box will have a fill limit based upon it's volume.

All those junction boxes in the ceiling (which must remain forevermore accessible) sound like a real pain and will be an obvious diy job. Doing it right with the correct wall boxes is easier, better, cheaper and faster.

Yeah I see what your saying, but I think no matter what I would have to bring the electrical up the wall. The 2x4's are flat against the wall and can really be drilled. There is also a drop ceiling that will always be in place.

How do I determine the fill limit of the box?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #8

Another basement

I'm still not sure why you do not want to build just a "normal" 2x4 wall spaced 1/2'' from your cinderblock wall. This helps with your electrical boxes, for hanging anything on walls (it gives you the 4 inches instead of 2 to screw anything heavy into), also and possibly most important it will ensure you have straight walls. Your cinder block walls may not be true, by building your own walls you will make sure that all of your walls are straight. Just some ideas, it is up to you in the end.
RobandStacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #9

Another basement

Quote:
Use a 4x4 box with a plaster ring to bring it back to a single gang. You can get the required capacity to run a circuit in and out without adding boxes above the ceiling.

As the others have suggested, I would just frame a 2x4 wall in front of the block unless you have a serious space constraint. You'll thank yourself later.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #10

Another basement

Does your building code allow you to attach the studs directly to the cinder block, whether treated or not?

I agree with the others. Build the walls conventionally, leaving a 1/2" gap between the 2x4's and cinder block.
Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

Another basement

2"x4" walls is the proper way to frame your walls. As noted above, that way you can be sure they're straight and square. That's a big necessity for your drop ceiling! Also if you decide to go with paneling, put a layer of 1/4" sheetrock up first to give solid backing.