Allergen Issues - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Allergen issues

We are doing some remodeling in the house we just bought before we move in. The house was built in the early sixties. The previous owners had pets (dog I think).

My teen daughter has pet allergy issues and mild asthma. When we first looked at the house she was somewhat bothered by the allergens but we just assumed it was the owners dog that was the issue. The upstairs is all hardwood floors and the downstairs had carpet. I have removed all the carpet and have been doing alot of remodeling work downstairs. I have moved walls, closets and completely gutted one bedroom. I have also replaced rotted interior wall framing that was caused by plumbing leaks. There was some mold in the walls but the affected material has been removed as far as I can see.

Right now, the house is always full of dust from the work I am doing. I have been wearing a mask while in the house.

My daughter stopped by yesterday for a few minutes and had a bad allergy reaction shortly after. She was sneezing, coughing and felt horrible. Now my wife is worried that the house is permanently "tainted" by allergens which will make it impossible for my daughter to stand. I am thinking and hoping that it is just from the dust and stirring up everything in the air.

We still need to finish cleaning out the baseboard heaters which some were completely matted with dog hair.

Is it going to be possible to clean up this house and make it a comfortable place for my daughter?

Advertisement

Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,348

Allergen issues

All the construction dust---off gassing adhesives and paint fumes will get to even people with good lungs----finish up the job --avoid over use of adhesives (drywall adhesive is particularly nasty and can be avoided with a few more screws)

Let the place air out and see---priming the raw subfloor will aid in controlling dust and left over pet dander----

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

Allergen issues

The subfloor downstairs is concrete but it still has old sheet flooring which I am planning to leave alone as it may contain asbestos. I am going to have carpet laid over it. Should I treat the old flooring somehow before the carpet is installed?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
DIY staff

Allergen issues

If it will never be tiled--I'd suggest priming it with a latex primer ,just to seal in any pet stains and dust---

Just a thought---have you tested your daughter for latex allergy? Although rare, it's not unheard of--
Old 01-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #5

Allergen issues

Thanks for the advice. My daughter has been around latex paint and other latex products without issues so I think shes ok there. The only time she has bad reactions is around pet allergens (cats and dogs). I think we are just going to have to do a very thorough cleaning when the work is all done. Would it be worth it to hire someone to clean the house before we move in? Im not sure if a professional cleaning company would have special allergen abatement products or methods...
Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
DIY staff

Allergen issues

I seriously doubt that a cleaning service will do a better job than you will---

I an serious about sealing in dust and dander as you finish up an area--before your floor coverings go in---that helps a lot---
Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 738

Allergen issues

Carpet with someone with allergys living in the home.
I'm not seeing that as a great flooring choice.
I'd stick with a hard surface.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #8

Allergen issues

I know what you're saying makes sense, but we have always had carpet without any issues. However we never had any pets. We do keep a clean house so I think it should be ok.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 738

Allergen issues

Ever had it on a slab before?
At a minimum use a padding with a vaper barrier.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #10

Allergen issues

Yes we had carpet on A slab floor before. Although this was in Florida and now we are in Maine. I thought it was a good idea for the concrete floor to breathe through the carpet. But I wonder since this will be laid over the old sheet flooring if it would make any difference. I wonder what the perm rating of the old sheet flooring actually is. Is that a vapor barrier?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
DIY staff

Allergen issues

That's plenty of vapor barrier---
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Allergen issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If it will never be tiled--I'd suggest priming it with a latex primer ,just to seal in any pet stains and dust---

Just a thought---have you tested your daughter for latex allergy? Although rare, it's not unheard of--
Just as an FYI: people with latex allergies have a problem coming in contact with natural latex rubber. Latex paint does not contain "latex", only vinyl or acrylic resins. Natural latex rubber is a pretty rare commodity. Occaisionally, it is used in rubber gloves and a few other odd products.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-07-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,236

Allergen issues

Don't forget to have your hvac ducts cleaned (if you have them). That much probably isn't a DIY project. Might also consider an electronic air cleaner. No pets here, but we have one and it sure cuts down on dust in the air.

Advertisement

Last edited by md2lgyk; 01-08-2013 at 08:35 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote