Air Tight Trim For Recess Lights - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Air tight trim for recess lights

I just put in remodel cans in the living room and need some advice. I asked the man for ICAT and he gave me a box. In my stupidity I did not pay attention and installed them. Then I had my ceiling redone and it sure looks great. I am noticing though that I have a slight attic smell now. I checked and they are not ICAT they are just IC. :o Should have looked more closely I guess. They are from HD and are the commercial brand remodel can. Anyone have a suggestion of an AT trim for this can? Thanks.

Advertisement

ingeborgdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Air tight trim for recess lights

Check the inside of the can for the labels that tells you max allowable lamp size for the trim ring installed. Sounds like lamp may be too large(watts) for that trim. Fixtures nowadays are thermally protected from overheating, but you may be close the overheat point.

IC allows direct contact with insulation, AT is air tight fixture, which is what I would prefer. Never ask an HD person for help/advice. And check carefully when they give it, you didn't.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote