Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

Advice on siding issue

I need some advice on a siding repair. Long story short, I need to install (or have installed) siding around 2 3rd story windows. The wife and I have been saving to completely reside the house and replace 5 windows, sadly it won't be possible for another 1.5-2 years.
Now my HO insurance says the area around the windows needs to be sided, and they have given me until august 5th to do so. They inspected the house in January when I bought it, nothing was said until just today. Sigh.
So I'm wondering...what kind of siding is this stuff? It is a 2nd layer. It seems like it has been painted already. I don't know if I should try to find some of the same siding material, or if I'll even be able to.
So, I turn to the wisdom of the board. Any help/advice would be great, time is apparently a factor, and I just want to have some general knowledge prior to calling a siding company if that's what it comes to.
It was a foreclosure, we've been gutting the interior a room at a time...I know the outside is ugly. Precious owners replaced the 3rd story windows (front and back).
Attached Images

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Advice on siding issue

Marq,
That looks like asbestos siding. Used to be popular years ago. I don't know if you could even buy anything like that now. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #3

Advice on siding issue

That's what I feared. But oh well. Most of it's in decent shape. 3-4 spots that were damaged by cable installers, etc. I do appreciate the response very much...
Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

Advice on siding issue

There is really nothing wrong with that siding as long as you don't disturb it. The tiles are very strong and seem to last forever. If you have some on the back of the house or garage that you could take off where they don't show and use them to fill in around the new windows. If you have to cut it, wet it while cutting so it doesn't create any airborne dust.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #5

Advice on siding issue

I've done some more reading since your first reply, and I agree...not too worried. Unfortunately there are no spares that I can use. This weekend when I'm not working I'll see what I can find around town. Thanks again for the ideas, Mike...
Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,430

Advice on siding issue

You can buy the fiber cement version of those old asbestos shingles.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 508

Advice on siding issue

Just thinking out loud here. What if you replaced the window with a taller one? This would only leave the siding at the sides to be replaced. Fill in the space with some Hardi panel siding, about $25 a sheet. Then install a set of vinyl shutters to hide the repair. This will buy you time until you reside. Then you would still have the new windows, and could reinstall the shutters.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #8

Advice on siding issue

The third floor windows were the newest in the house when we bought it...about 3 years old. I think the fiber/cement versions will be the way to go. I'll do some looking online and get set for the weekend. What should go under the shakes? There's some sort of semi-sticky felt/tar paper under the rest of the siding currently. Stick with that type of product? Once again, very many thanks for the replies!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #9

Advice on siding issue

GAF Weatherside makes direct replacement fiber/cement siding. It's the only one I found that exactly matches what I've got. I'm going to put in an order. Our local menards apparently doesn't usually carry it...the response I got from 3 folks there was "huh?". I'll post more once I get the stuff and get up there to do it.